Running legend Sir Roger Bannister was in the town on Saturday signing copies of his new book.
The 85-year-old – who broke the four – minute mile barrier at Oxford’s Iffley Road track 60 years ago – was at Cole’s Books in Crown Walk between 3pm and 5pm signing copies of Twin Tracks.
Alchester Running Club’s Sarah Rendell, 41, who bought a signed copy, said: “He is an icon, especially for Oxfordshire.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- TV Wildlife presenter Chris Packham speaks about his Aspergers, teenage struggles and attempts to get into Oxford University
- GALLERY: Prince William proves a hit with young and old students on Oxford visit
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year