Running legend Sir Roger Bannister was in the town on Saturday signing copies of his new book.
The 85-year-old – who broke the four – minute mile barrier at Oxford’s Iffley Road track 60 years ago – was at Cole’s Books in Crown Walk between 3pm and 5pm signing copies of Twin Tracks.
Alchester Running Club’s Sarah Rendell, 41, who bought a signed copy, said: “He is an icon, especially for Oxfordshire.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street