Running legend Sir Roger Bannister was in the town on Saturday signing copies of his new book.
The 85-year-old – who broke the four – minute mile barrier at Oxford’s Iffley Road track 60 years ago – was at Cole’s Books in Crown Walk between 3pm and 5pm signing copies of Twin Tracks.
Alchester Running Club’s Sarah Rendell, 41, who bought a signed copy, said: “He is an icon, especially for Oxfordshire.”
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community