Munshi "must have known" about house fire plan, court hears

Munshi

Munshi "must have known" about house fire plan, court hears

First published in News

JURORS have this morning been told it is inconceivable Fiaz Munshi did not know about a murder plot to torch an East Oxford home.

The 38-year-old denies murdering Anum Khan, eight, and Majid, 15, in the Magdalen Road blaze in 1997.

But the prosecution says she wanted revenge after the family told her to stay away from their son.

Neil Moore, in his closing speech at Oxford Crown Court, said the evidence in the trial had shown Munshi was guilty and must have known about the plan when she headed to Oxford with the killers on the night of the attack.

He said: "When you put all that together the prosecution say you can be sure that Fiaz Munshi is guilty."

The trial continues.

  • Our top stories:

Pothole payouts in Oxfordshire double

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 28th January 2015

THE amount of compensation claimed by Oxfordshire drivers for pothole damage more than doubled in two years.

Travellers leave Botley Road Waitrose site after being handed eviction notice

Oxford Mail:

5:52pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

Travellers left the Waitrose site in Botley Road today after being handed a 24-hour eviction notice.

Jayden trial: Jury in Jake Blakeley case sent home until Tuesday

Oxford Mail: Jake Blakeley, 18, from Didcot

5:49pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

THE jury in the trial of Jake Blakeley will continue considering its verdict on Tuesday.

UPDATE: Delays on Cotswold Line between Oxford and Worcester after person hit by train

Oxford Mail: A First Great Western High Speed Train

4:30pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

THERE are delays of up to 40 minutes on rail services between Oxford, Worcester and Hereford this afternoon due to a person being hit by a train between Moreton-in-Marsh and Kingham.

UPDATE: Tesco Metro in Bicester to shut wih 56 job losses after firm announces national closures

Oxford Mail:

1:19pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

Tesco Metro in Bicester will close on April 4.

27 dead in crashes in Oxfordshire last year

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

12:43pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

TWENTY-seven people died in traffic collisions across the county last year.

Last Didcot Power Station towers to be demolished next year

Oxford Mail:

12:00pm Wednesday 28th January 2015

THE three remaining cooling towers at the former Didcot A power station will be demolished in 2016, according to energy company RWE npower.

Man left with cut across face after being attacked in Banbury

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

11:51am Wednesday 28th January 2015

A MAN is in hospital after he was cut across the face by a stranger, police said.

Great grandfather travels in style right until the end

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Wednesday 28th January 2015

A HORSE and carriage funeral procession made its way through the streets of Oxford yesterday as a great grandfather made his final journey.

Senior councillors back plan to debate new 'super council'

Oxford Mail: New Oxfordshire county council logo

7:10am Wednesday 28th January 2015

SENIOR councillors of Oxfordshire’s biggest authority have supported calls for a debate on creating one ‘super authority’ for the county.

Oxfordshire ambulance services accused of "playing god" and "putting lives at risk" in new drug trial

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 27th January 2015

CARDIAC arrest patients could be given a salt solution instead of adrenaline as part of a new medical trial in Oxfordshire.

Iffley Road complex to be named after Olympian Acer Nethercott

Oxford Mail:

7:48pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

THE first phase of the £60 million redevelopment of Oxford University’s Iffley Road sports facilities could be completed by July 2016.

Arson-struck funeral home is overwhelmed by support

Oxford Mail:

7:30pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

STAFF at a funeral directors said they have been inundated with messages of support after a devastating blaze caused an estimated £100,000 worth of damage.

Health worker strike that would have seen staff walk out in Oxfordshire called off at 11th hour

Oxford Mail: John Radcliffe Hospital stock

7:13pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

A PLANNED strike by health workers has been called off less than 48 hours before it was due to start.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree