AN annual 12th century tradition of counting swans in the River Thames is due to start today.
The five-day census of swan upping was due to start in Surrey and end at Abingdon Bridge at 5pm on Friday.
As part of the census, the Queen’s Swan Warden will count swans and their cygnets, examine them for injuries and treat them.
- Our top stories
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes