CAMPAIGNERS gathered outside a Cowley facility yesterday in protest against closure plans they described as an insult to the community.
Oxford City Council wants to build 40 flats at the site of the former community centre in Barns Road.
Yesterday’s protestors were also demonstrating against the move to close the Temple Cowley Pool and Fitness Centre.
Dr Hojjat Ramzy, a representative of the Muslim Community of Oxford, said: "These facilities are vital for the health and well being of the Cowley community.
"If these are closed the community will suffer. The plans to replace the former Community Centre in Barns Road, which catered well for the citizens of Oxford with 40 flats, a number of workshops and a small community hall are ridiculous."
And he said plans to build another hall were not enough and urged the council to re-think, adding: "This space will not be big enough to cater for even 20 people, let alone our growing community. This is an insult to the people of Cowley.
"We are all paying our taxes and the whole of Cowley have a right to a decent space that will cater for the whole community."
- Our top stories
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops
- Time-travelling story takes top spot in our Ox Tales competition
- Former Oxford City director Thomas Guerriero pleads guilty to $6.6m fraud
- Police confirm dead baby was newborn and renew desperate appeal to find mother
- Adam says yes after reading girlfriend's Leap Day proposal on the Oxford Mail website