CAMPAIGNERS gathered outside a Cowley facility yesterday in protest against closure plans they described as an insult to the community.
Oxford City Council wants to build 40 flats at the site of the former community centre in Barns Road.
Yesterday’s protestors were also demonstrating against the move to close the Temple Cowley Pool and Fitness Centre.
Dr Hojjat Ramzy, a representative of the Muslim Community of Oxford, said: "These facilities are vital for the health and well being of the Cowley community.
"If these are closed the community will suffer. The plans to replace the former Community Centre in Barns Road, which catered well for the citizens of Oxford with 40 flats, a number of workshops and a small community hall are ridiculous."
And he said plans to build another hall were not enough and urged the council to re-think, adding: "This space will not be big enough to cater for even 20 people, let alone our growing community. This is an insult to the people of Cowley.
"We are all paying our taxes and the whole of Cowley have a right to a decent space that will cater for the whole community."
- Our top stories
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay