Police now say they are investigating reports of a man approaching Witney schoolgirls offering lifts home.
The man, travelling in a white van, is said to have approached three 12-year-old girls, believed to be pupils at Wood Green School, who were cycling in Hailey Road on Wednesday at about 6pm.
Police said he asked the girls if they would like a lift and to put their bikes in the van but they declined.
But the force, which increased patrols around Wood Green School and nearby Madley Brook Primary School, said there was no physical contact and no criminal offence was committed.
Our top stories:
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community