Police now say they are investigating reports of a man approaching Witney schoolgirls offering lifts home.
The man, travelling in a white van, is said to have approached three 12-year-old girls, believed to be pupils at Wood Green School, who were cycling in Hailey Road on Wednesday at about 6pm.
Police said he asked the girls if they would like a lift and to put their bikes in the van but they declined.
But the force, which increased patrols around Wood Green School and nearby Madley Brook Primary School, said there was no physical contact and no criminal offence was committed.
Our top stories:
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- TV Wildlife presenter Chris Packham speaks about his Aspergers, teenage struggles and attempts to get into Oxford University
- GALLERY: Prince William proves a hit with young and old students on Oxford visit
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year