Before going I had read about theft, muggings and stabbings being a daily occurrence in Rio. In reality I had no problems and never felt in any danger.
Going to matches was an amazing experience – security was a bit of a joke as I had a pen confiscated but a German fan in front of me was allowed in with his flag on a metre-long metal pole.
There is a great atmosphere in the stadiums.
The Argentinian fans were cheering, chanting, dancing and waving flags throughout games – very entertaining except if you had been hoping to be able to see the pitch occasionally.
When Brazil play, the country closes down. Offices and shops shut for the afternoon.
None of the Brazil games were in Rio but everyone was in a Brazil shirt and when Brazil scored klaxons, fireworks and firecrackers went off in deafening proportions.
It was a great four weeks with so many memories. My only disappointment was not to see one of the armadillos which roam the grounds of the college where I was staying.
We don’t get a lot of armadillos in Cumnor.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street