Before going I had read about theft, muggings and stabbings being a daily occurrence in Rio. In reality I had no problems and never felt in any danger.
Going to matches was an amazing experience – security was a bit of a joke as I had a pen confiscated but a German fan in front of me was allowed in with his flag on a metre-long metal pole.
There is a great atmosphere in the stadiums.
The Argentinian fans were cheering, chanting, dancing and waving flags throughout games – very entertaining except if you had been hoping to be able to see the pitch occasionally.
When Brazil play, the country closes down. Offices and shops shut for the afternoon.
None of the Brazil games were in Rio but everyone was in a Brazil shirt and when Brazil scored klaxons, fireworks and firecrackers went off in deafening proportions.
It was a great four weeks with so many memories. My only disappointment was not to see one of the armadillos which roam the grounds of the college where I was staying.
We don’t get a lot of armadillos in Cumnor.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
11:04am Monday 3rd August 2015
THREE teenagers have been arrested after a man was assaulted in Oxford Castle Quarter in the early hours of yesterday morning.
8:30am Monday 3rd August 2015
A LONG-SERVING taxi driver has become so exasperated with Oxford’s roads that he has quit and found a new job.
7:54am Monday 3rd August 2015
There are delays on the A4142 Eastern By-Pass Road due to a traffic light failure.
6:00am Monday 3rd August 2015
A DEVOTED fundraiser and Blackbird Leys resident of 50 years was among the first to tell her story on camera for a heritage project.
11:32am Sunday 2nd August 2015
PART of Oxford Castle Quarter is cordoned off after a man was attacked in the early hours of this morning.
11:17am Sunday 2nd August 2015
SUNLIGHT shining through the window of a house sparked a blaze in Sibford Gower.