Man stabbed on Cowley Road in 'planned attack'

Man stabbed on Cowley Road in 'planned attack'

Man stabbed on Cowley Road in 'planned attack'

First published in News
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Crime Reporter, also covering Barton and Wood Farm. Call me on (01865) 425427

A man was stabbed in Cowley Road last night in what police believe could have been a planned attack.

The 25-year-old man was in the Simpli Fresh store at about 9.10pm when he was called outside and attacked by a man.

The attacker ran off when another man stepped in and the victim then realised he had been hurt.

Thames Valley Police said the victim was taken to hospital with a suspected stab wound, but said it was not thought to be life-threatening.

No arrests have been made and police are appealing for information.

Investigating officer Det Insp John Turner, from Oxford Force CID, said: “We believe the victim was known to the offender and this may have been a targeted attack.

“Officers are conducting enquiries today and remain in the area to reassure members of the community. If anyone has any concerns or questions, please feel free to approach officers.

“I am appealing for witnesses who saw the incident to come forward to ensure we find the offender and bring him to justice. Violence like this will not be tolerated in our community.”

It comes after a man in his 20s was stabbed off Cowley Road on Sunday evening after the Cowley Road Carnival.

Anyone with information should call police on 101.

  • Our top stories:

Army will apologise to paratrooper after bullying claim at RAF Brize Norton upheld

Oxford Mail:

4:11pm Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE Army has said it will apologise to a paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan after his complaint of bullying was upheld.

Witney job centre cordoned off after suspicious package scare

Oxford Mail:

11:38am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A job centre was cordoned off after reports of a suspicious package.

Two road closures next week on A34 and in Oxford

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

10:52am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PARTS of the A34 and Walton Street will be closed next week as roadworks are carried out.

Thames Water under fire from residents who say they’ve been left in the dark

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

ANGRY residents flooded out of their homes say they are being left in the dark by Thames Water a week after disaster struck.

One lane of Botley Road shut for emergency work

Oxford Mail: Burst water main closes Lower Hall Lane in Chingford

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THAMES Water started emergency roadworks in Botley Road last night.

WATCH: Right royal occasion as RAF hands on helicopters + video

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PRINCE Andrew joined RAF personnel and Royal Navy staff as they paraded at RAF Benson yesterday to mark one of the base’s helicopter squadrons being officially disbanded.

Bridge fall man is still critically ill in hospital

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man was last night still fighting for his life in hospital after falling from a bridge and colliding with a vehicle.

Sex with teen denied

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man has gone on trial accused of having sex with a 14-year-old girl.

Brothel sentence delay

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

Two women who admitted being involved in running a brothel had the date for their sentencing changed.

More child sex victims are being identified

Oxford Mail: Bullfinch banner 630

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

HIGH-profile sex trafficking cases like Oxford’s Operation Bullfinch have led to more child victims being identified, the National Crime Agency (NCA) has said.

Teenage girl a victim of ‘revenge pornography’

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A 13-year-old girl is among the region’s victims of so-called “revenge pornography”.

Just one more series for me says Lewis star

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

LEWIS star Kevin Whately has said he only wants to appear in one more series of the Oxford-based TV drama.

Burglary case put back

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A 32-year-old man accused of burgling a home and stealing a BMW from the driveway had his case adjourned yesterday.

Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes turns his cameras on wartime Blenheim Palace

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE creator of hit TV drama Downton Abbey has been investigating how the real-life stately home of Blenheim Palace coped with the First World War.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree