RESIDENTS are continuing to keep the pressure on energy bosses to switch the time of the demolition of Didcot A power station.
RWE npower has announced that three cooling towers at Didcot A power station will be demolished by Coleman and Company between 3am and 5am on Sunday, July 27.
But thousands of residents have urged npower to switch the time of demolition of the 325ft towers to 6am so that more people can see it.
Wantage and Didcot MP Ed Vaizey has called for a countdown to be projected on to the towers, which will be lit up by floodlights.
Mum-of-two Christine Reardon, 44, from Meadow Way, Didcot, has given a petition to RWE npower chief executive Paul Massara, which has more than 2,790 signatures.
Lee Upcraft, of Clapcot Way, Didcot, set up The Social Landscape of Didcot Facebook page to support Mrs Reardon’s campaign.
The page, at facebook.com/didcotAdemolition, so far has 63 likes.
But RWE npower spokesman Kelly Brown said the company had not changed its mind.
She said: “We are aware of the all the activity on social media and are considering Mr Vaizey’s suggestion regarding a countdown but that could be hard to achieve when you are dealing with explosives.”
Anyone who wants to write to Mr Massara can send a letter to RWE npower, Trigonof Building, Windmill Hill Business Park, Whitehill Way, Swindon, SN5 6PB or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes