TWO drivers were caught up in a city centre fight in front of tourists and shoppers.
The road, at the junction of Walton Street and Beaumont Street, was blocked around midday yesterday when the fight happened, police said.
A 50-year-old driver of a car was assaulted. His injuries are not thought to be serious. The driver of a white van, a 30-year-old man, was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and assault and was in custody last night.
Sgt Matthew Sulley of the Oxford City Centre Unit said: “The road was blocked during the incident, and lots of people will have seen what happened.
“I’d like to speak to as many people as possible who saw the events unfold, and also thank those members of the public who stopped patrolling police to request help, and also those who assisted the injured male.
“From what we know, the situation would have been quite shocking.
“We currently have a man in custody.”
If you have any information on the incident contact Pc 5377 Alex Shepherd at Oxford Police Station on 101.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Our top stories
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street