AN historic employment site which played a key part in the Second World War could be turned into a distribution centre.
Cherwell District Council has agreed to Standard Life Investment’s plans to turn the former Alocoa Europe site, in Southam Road, Banbury in to a distribution centre.
It will be used by The Entertainer toyshop.
The building has been empty since 2008 after SAPA Profiles UK announced it was going to concentrate its aluminium production at its other UK sites.
A Standard Life Investments spokesperson said: “We’re delighted that planning has been approved for this development. It is a further step toward creating more jobs for Banbury.”
During the war the site was used to create aluminium for the aviation industry.
Our top stories:
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes