Speed camera catches 7,138 drivers in a year

.

.

First published in News

A SPEED camera on the A34 near Oxford caught the fourth highest number of speeding drivers in the UK last year, bringing in £126,640 in fines.

Figures released on Friday by insurance company LV, after a Freedom of Information request to Thames Valley Police, reveal the camera on the southbound carriageway close to Wytham stopped 7,138 motorists, who were fined £60 each.

Only three cameras in Greater Manchester, London and Staffordshire caught more drivers.

Ted Dewan, 53, a road safety campaigner from Summertown, said roads such as the A34 are designed in a way that encourages drivers to speed.

He said: “The roads were built with higher speeds in mind than today’s limits.

“They’re wide open roads and it’s easy for drivers to switch to autopilot and drive faster than the speed limit.

Speed cameras don’t actually slow people down. I’d much rather see a system like they have in France where silhouettes in the shape of people are placed at sites where there have been fatal crashes. That would make people think and slow down.”

Liberal Democrat city and county councillor Jean Fooks said it was too tempting for drivers to break the speed limit and more should be done to clamp down on speeding on all roads.

But Hugh Bladon, founder member and treasurer of the Alliance of British Drivers, said the number of people caught on the A34 did not necessarily mean the road was hazardous or people were driving dangerously.

He said: “If a camera has caught over 7,000 people in one year it suggests the speed limit on the road has not been set correctly.”

A total of 161,915 drivers were issued with speeding tickets by Thames Valley Police last year, up from 160,181 in 2012.

There were 61,972 tickets issued between the start of this year and June 18.

Thames Valley Police spokesman Rhianne Pope said: “We are committed to reducing road deaths and casualties and speed camera enforcement is one tool we use to address this. The speed cameras are there for a reason. If you stick to the limit you won’t get caught.”

  • Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS, SPORT and JAYDEN depending on what services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.

Our top stories:

William Blencowe sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering Connor Tremble

Oxford Mail:

10:13am Friday 29th August 2014

William Blencowe has been sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Connor Tremble.

Family concerned about missing teenager

Oxford Mail:

3:32pm Friday 29th August 2014

A TEENAGER has gone missing with police and his family fearing for his welfare.

Roadworks on A420 near Shrivenham finish a week early

Oxford Mail: a420 alert

3:09pm Friday 29th August 2014

Roadworks scheduled to rumble on until mid-September have finished a week early.

RUGBY UNION: Piri relishing life at Welsh

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Friday 29th August 2014

World Cup winning superstar Piri Weepu is more than happy to muck in at London Welsh.

Connor Tremble murder: Fatal attack fuelled by jealousy over ex

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 29th August 2014

JEALOUS Will Blencowe stabbed Connor Tremble 15 times when he found out he was dating his former girlfriend Aimee Harrison, the court heard.

Connor Tremble murder: Blencowe convicted of carefully-planned killing

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 29th August 2014

CONNOR Tremble’s family simply said “we have got justice” after Will Blencowe was convicted of the 17-year-old’s murder.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:18am Mon 7 Jul 14

HomerSimpsonDoh says...

And the reason it is there is to make money, no other reason
And the reason it is there is to make money, no other reason HomerSimpsonDoh
  • Score: -6

7:33am Mon 7 Jul 14

Quentin Walker says...

Regardless of whether or not the 50mph limit is reasonable or justifiable, it is the Law.

I am fed up of being tailgated on that section of the A34 when I keep to the speed limit or see other motorists flying past. I didn't set the rules, I'm just sticking to them.

I'm pleased to see that some of the offenders have paid the price.
Regardless of whether or not the 50mph limit is reasonable or justifiable, it is the Law. I am fed up of being tailgated on that section of the A34 when I keep to the speed limit or see other motorists flying past. I didn't set the rules, I'm just sticking to them. I'm pleased to see that some of the offenders have paid the price. Quentin Walker
  • Score: 19

7:49am Mon 7 Jul 14

traincrash says...

as this must be a camera van i wish they would make this effort on the cyclists with no lights at night and running through traffic lights that happens every day in great numbers in oxford and as for safety speed on this stretch of 50 mph its a dual carriage way with barriers so why can we do 60 mph on a single country road with a footpath and no centre barrier ????
as this must be a camera van i wish they would make this effort on the cyclists with no lights at night and running through traffic lights that happens every day in great numbers in oxford and as for safety speed on this stretch of 50 mph its a dual carriage way with barriers so why can we do 60 mph on a single country road with a footpath and no centre barrier ???? traincrash
  • Score: -7

8:59am Mon 7 Jul 14

yabbadabbadoo256 says...

How many other criminals have been caught in comparism? lets see some numbers to compare Oxford mail?? I bet its not as high - probably as the motorist is a easy target to concentrate police resources on?
How many other criminals have been caught in comparism? lets see some numbers to compare Oxford mail?? I bet its not as high - probably as the motorist is a easy target to concentrate police resources on? yabbadabbadoo256
  • Score: -5

9:06am Mon 7 Jul 14

cowleyman says...

its about time the camera,s were set up on the eastern by-pass between the cowley fly-over & rose hill roundabout. it seems to be treated as a racetrack.
its about time the camera,s were set up on the eastern by-pass between the cowley fly-over & rose hill roundabout. it seems to be treated as a racetrack. cowleyman
  • Score: 4

9:10am Mon 7 Jul 14

sarahrellyboo says...

I really wish people would stop making speed. Oh wait.....no! If you speed it's your fault....stop blaming everyone else. If you, the driver of the vehicle, choose not to obey the law then you deserve everything you get!!
I really wish people would stop making speed. Oh wait.....no! If you speed it's your fault....stop blaming everyone else. If you, the driver of the vehicle, choose not to obey the law then you deserve everything you get!! sarahrellyboo
  • Score: 17

9:36am Mon 7 Jul 14

EMBOX2 says...

The law is the law, and if you think it is wrong then complain to your local MP, or the PM.

I support the 50 limit from its current start point (n-bound) but it should end at the Botley interchange, not another mile or so up the road.
The law is the law, and if you think it is wrong then complain to your local MP, or the PM. I support the 50 limit from its current start point (n-bound) but it should end at the Botley interchange, not another mile or so up the road. EMBOX2
  • Score: 3

9:59am Mon 7 Jul 14

HomerSimpsonDoh says...

For all you lot that keeps banging on it's the law, what if a law came in that said you could not leave your house after 7.00pm, would you obey it?? No, because it's not just, and the same with this 50mph road.
For all you lot that keeps banging on it's the law, what if a law came in that said you could not leave your house after 7.00pm, would you obey it?? No, because it's not just, and the same with this 50mph road. HomerSimpsonDoh
  • Score: -11

10:04am Mon 7 Jul 14

Quentin Walker says...

HomerSimpsonDoh wrote:
For all you lot that keeps banging on it's the law, what if a law came in that said you could not leave your house after 7.00pm, would you obey it?? No, because it's not just, and the same with this 50mph road.
OK, if as you say, it's not a just law. What have you done about it?

Hopefully, rather than just contributing to the debate on this site, you will also have contacted your MP and local councillor.
[quote][p][bold]HomerSimpsonDoh[/bold] wrote: For all you lot that keeps banging on it's the law, what if a law came in that said you could not leave your house after 7.00pm, would you obey it?? No, because it's not just, and the same with this 50mph road.[/p][/quote]OK, if as you say, it's not a just law. What have you done about it? Hopefully, rather than just contributing to the debate on this site, you will also have contacted your MP and local councillor. Quentin Walker
  • Score: 5

10:23am Mon 7 Jul 14

Lord Palmerstone says...

Quentin Walker wrote:
HomerSimpsonDoh wrote:
For all you lot that keeps banging on it's the law, what if a law came in that said you could not leave your house after 7.00pm, would you obey it?? No, because it's not just, and the same with this 50mph road.
OK, if as you say, it's not a just law. What have you done about it?

Hopefully, rather than just contributing to the debate on this site, you will also have contacted your MP and local councillor.
Nothing would happen. The people living near that stretch of the A34 would assert their unique victimhood and explain how they'd come down with PTSD in droves if the limit were rationalised and the Council would disappear back under the sideboard leaving the usual snail trail.
However, if you'd care to beg your MP to ask a FOI question about whether those convicted of death by careless/dangerous have a statistically significantly higher number of camera points than Mr Average Motorist we might begin to see through the fog of obfuscation that has grown up about them since their imposition became a career choice.
The good news for the uninsured career criminal is that the number of police cars is now so tiny, what with the police having to spend all their money on important stuff like whether someone was "inappropriately touched" 50 years ago, or whether someone listened in on Dave's silent phone calls to Angela, that the chance of their being stopped and the drugs/stolen gear/escaped lifers being caught is infinitesimally small.
[quote][p][bold]Quentin Walker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]HomerSimpsonDoh[/bold] wrote: For all you lot that keeps banging on it's the law, what if a law came in that said you could not leave your house after 7.00pm, would you obey it?? No, because it's not just, and the same with this 50mph road.[/p][/quote]OK, if as you say, it's not a just law. What have you done about it? Hopefully, rather than just contributing to the debate on this site, you will also have contacted your MP and local councillor.[/p][/quote]Nothing would happen. The people living near that stretch of the A34 would assert their unique victimhood and explain how they'd come down with PTSD in droves if the limit were rationalised and the Council would disappear back under the sideboard leaving the usual snail trail. However, if you'd care to beg your MP to ask a FOI question about whether those convicted of death by careless/dangerous have a statistically significantly higher number of camera points than Mr Average Motorist we might begin to see through the fog of obfuscation that has grown up about them since their imposition became a career choice. The good news for the uninsured career criminal is that the number of police cars is now so tiny, what with the police having to spend all their money on important stuff like whether someone was "inappropriately touched" 50 years ago, or whether someone listened in on Dave's silent phone calls to Angela, that the chance of their being stopped and the drugs/stolen gear/escaped lifers being caught is infinitesimally small. Lord Palmerstone
  • Score: -10

11:36am Mon 7 Jul 14

TommyC says...

"He said: “The roads were built with higher speeds in mind than today’s limits.

“They’re wide open roads and it’s easy for drivers to switch to autopilot and drive faster than the speed limit."

Isn't that pretty much an acceptance that the current limit is too low for the condition of the road in question?
"He said: “The roads were built with higher speeds in mind than today’s limits. “They’re wide open roads and it’s easy for drivers to switch to autopilot and drive faster than the speed limit." Isn't that pretty much an acceptance that the current limit is too low for the condition of the road in question? TommyC
  • Score: 3

12:07pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Andrew:Oxford says...

TommyC wrote:
"He said: “The roads were built with higher speeds in mind than today’s limits.

“They’re wide open roads and it’s easy for drivers to switch to autopilot and drive faster than the speed limit."

Isn't that pretty much an acceptance that the current limit is too low for the condition of the road in question?
The reason why it's a 50mph stretch at this point is due to the road noise as a consequence of the road construction in a built-up environment - not the traditional "condition of road".

A single camera at the far end of the stretch, well beyond most residencies, isn't exactly helpful though.

The best "speed" solution for the A34 from Newbury to the M40 (other than being rebuilt as a 6-lane with hard shoulder motorway) would be something similar to that on the M42 at Birmingham - overhead variable speed signs with average speed cameras.
[quote][p][bold]TommyC[/bold] wrote: "He said: “The roads were built with higher speeds in mind than today’s limits. “They’re wide open roads and it’s easy for drivers to switch to autopilot and drive faster than the speed limit." Isn't that pretty much an acceptance that the current limit is too low for the condition of the road in question?[/p][/quote]The reason why it's a 50mph stretch at this point is due to the road noise as a consequence of the road construction in a built-up environment - not the traditional "condition of road". A single camera at the far end of the stretch, well beyond most residencies, isn't exactly helpful though. The best "speed" solution for the A34 from Newbury to the M40 (other than being rebuilt as a 6-lane with hard shoulder motorway) would be something similar to that on the M42 at Birmingham - overhead variable speed signs with average speed cameras. Andrew:Oxford
  • Score: 1

12:19pm Mon 7 Jul 14

TommyC says...

Andrew:Oxford wrote:
TommyC wrote:
"He said: “The roads were built with higher speeds in mind than today’s limits.

“They’re wide open roads and it’s easy for drivers to switch to autopilot and drive faster than the speed limit."

Isn't that pretty much an acceptance that the current limit is too low for the condition of the road in question?
The reason why it's a 50mph stretch at this point is due to the road noise as a consequence of the road construction in a built-up environment - not the traditional "condition of road".

A single camera at the far end of the stretch, well beyond most residencies, isn't exactly helpful though.

The best "speed" solution for the A34 from Newbury to the M40 (other than being rebuilt as a 6-lane with hard shoulder motorway) would be something similar to that on the M42 at Birmingham - overhead variable speed signs with average speed cameras.
"The reason why it's a 50mph stretch at this point is due to the road noise as a consequence of the road construction in a built-up environment - not the traditional "condition of road"."

That does make sense for the stretch of the road that runs between the houses, but why has the 50 mph stretch in the northbound direction been extended significantly past the Botley road junction, way past the residential area?
[quote][p][bold]Andrew:Oxford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TommyC[/bold] wrote: "He said: “The roads were built with higher speeds in mind than today’s limits. “They’re wide open roads and it’s easy for drivers to switch to autopilot and drive faster than the speed limit." Isn't that pretty much an acceptance that the current limit is too low for the condition of the road in question?[/p][/quote]The reason why it's a 50mph stretch at this point is due to the road noise as a consequence of the road construction in a built-up environment - not the traditional "condition of road". A single camera at the far end of the stretch, well beyond most residencies, isn't exactly helpful though. The best "speed" solution for the A34 from Newbury to the M40 (other than being rebuilt as a 6-lane with hard shoulder motorway) would be something similar to that on the M42 at Birmingham - overhead variable speed signs with average speed cameras.[/p][/quote]"The reason why it's a 50mph stretch at this point is due to the road noise as a consequence of the road construction in a built-up environment - not the traditional "condition of road"." That does make sense for the stretch of the road that runs between the houses, but why has the 50 mph stretch in the northbound direction been extended significantly past the Botley road junction, way past the residential area? TommyC
  • Score: 6

12:35pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Lord Palmerstone says...

TommyC wrote:
Andrew:Oxford wrote:
TommyC wrote:
"He said: “The roads were built with higher speeds in mind than today’s limits.

“They’re wide open roads and it’s easy for drivers to switch to autopilot and drive faster than the speed limit."

Isn't that pretty much an acceptance that the current limit is too low for the condition of the road in question?
The reason why it's a 50mph stretch at this point is due to the road noise as a consequence of the road construction in a built-up environment - not the traditional "condition of road".

A single camera at the far end of the stretch, well beyond most residencies, isn't exactly helpful though.

The best "speed" solution for the A34 from Newbury to the M40 (other than being rebuilt as a 6-lane with hard shoulder motorway) would be something similar to that on the M42 at Birmingham - overhead variable speed signs with average speed cameras.
"The reason why it's a 50mph stretch at this point is due to the road noise as a consequence of the road construction in a built-up environment - not the traditional "condition of road"."

That does make sense for the stretch of the road that runs between the houses, but why has the 50 mph stretch in the northbound direction been extended significantly past the Botley road junction, way past the residential area?
It's called "mission creep" a disease of clerks. But it enables a police or VOSPA van to sit collecting funds northbound, now that the limit has been extended to cover the relevant lay by.
[quote][p][bold]TommyC[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Andrew:Oxford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]TommyC[/bold] wrote: "He said: “The roads were built with higher speeds in mind than today’s limits. “They’re wide open roads and it’s easy for drivers to switch to autopilot and drive faster than the speed limit." Isn't that pretty much an acceptance that the current limit is too low for the condition of the road in question?[/p][/quote]The reason why it's a 50mph stretch at this point is due to the road noise as a consequence of the road construction in a built-up environment - not the traditional "condition of road". A single camera at the far end of the stretch, well beyond most residencies, isn't exactly helpful though. The best "speed" solution for the A34 from Newbury to the M40 (other than being rebuilt as a 6-lane with hard shoulder motorway) would be something similar to that on the M42 at Birmingham - overhead variable speed signs with average speed cameras.[/p][/quote]"The reason why it's a 50mph stretch at this point is due to the road noise as a consequence of the road construction in a built-up environment - not the traditional "condition of road"." That does make sense for the stretch of the road that runs between the houses, but why has the 50 mph stretch in the northbound direction been extended significantly past the Botley road junction, way past the residential area?[/p][/quote]It's called "mission creep" a disease of clerks. But it enables a police or VOSPA van to sit collecting funds northbound, now that the limit has been extended to cover the relevant lay by. Lord Palmerstone
  • Score: 2

1:58pm Mon 7 Jul 14

gallafent says...

EMBOX2 wrote:
The law is the law, and if you think it is wrong then complain to your local MP, or the PM.

I support the 50 limit from its current start point (n-bound) but it should end at the Botley interchange, not another mile or so up the road.
I think the reason the limit was extended northwards was to protect the junction with the road to Wytham.
[quote][p][bold]EMBOX2[/bold] wrote: The law is the law, and if you think it is wrong then complain to your local MP, or the PM. I support the 50 limit from its current start point (n-bound) but it should end at the Botley interchange, not another mile or so up the road.[/p][/quote]I think the reason the limit was extended northwards was to protect the junction with the road to Wytham. gallafent
  • Score: 6

7:05pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Unitedwestand81 says...

So cars and vehicle technology in General are getting better and safer with every new model released but speed limits are all being lowered......

And that makes sense?
So cars and vehicle technology in General are getting better and safer with every new model released but speed limits are all being lowered...... And that makes sense? Unitedwestand81
  • Score: -2

9:58pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Yarnton Don says...

50 mph signs flashing and people continue to speed.
Just abide to the law of the land
Not rocket science is it
Abide to the law
50 mph signs flashing and people continue to speed. Just abide to the law of the land Not rocket science is it Abide to the law Yarnton Don
  • Score: 7

10:38pm Mon 7 Jul 14

Lord Palmerstone says...

Yarnton Don wrote:
50 mph signs flashing and people continue to speed.
Just abide to the law of the land
Not rocket science is it
Abide to the law
One does. It does not negate one's entitlement to describe the rule as foolish, does it?
[quote][p][bold]Yarnton Don[/bold] wrote: 50 mph signs flashing and people continue to speed. Just abide to the law of the land Not rocket science is it Abide to the law[/p][/quote]One does. It does not negate one's entitlement to describe the rule as foolish, does it? Lord Palmerstone
  • Score: 1

7:09am Tue 8 Jul 14

I_says_He_says_She says...

I have a rubbish Chinese bike. i be lucky to be able to speed above 50 :D
But some locations of these cameras are badly placed and are likely to cause accidents cos too busy looking at speedo or placed at at junctions and difficult to observe any changes on the roads. Switch all cameras back off except ones outside schools.
I have a rubbish Chinese bike. i be lucky to be able to speed above 50 :D But some locations of these cameras are badly placed and are likely to cause accidents cos too busy looking at speedo or placed at at junctions and difficult to observe any changes on the roads. Switch all cameras back off except ones outside schools. I_says_He_says_She
  • Score: 1

9:39am Tue 8 Jul 14

yabbadabbadoo256 says...

well I say - kerching!!!
well I say - kerching!!! yabbadabbadoo256
  • Score: -1

12:46pm Wed 9 Jul 14

The New Private Eye says...

Yarnton Don wrote:
50 mph signs flashing and people continue to speed.
Just abide to the law of the land
Not rocket science is it
Abide to the law
No 50mph flashing sign anywhere near where the Rob Box, err sorry "police safety van" is parked up.
[quote][p][bold]Yarnton Don[/bold] wrote: 50 mph signs flashing and people continue to speed. Just abide to the law of the land Not rocket science is it Abide to the law[/p][/quote]No 50mph flashing sign anywhere near where the Rob Box, err sorry "police safety van" is parked up. The New Private Eye
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree