‘Give me a life sentence I deserve it’ court is told

First published in Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Abingdon and Wantage, South Oxford and Kennington. Call me on 01865 425431

BEN Blakeley told Oxford Crown Court yesterday “give me a life sentence, I deserve it”.

The 22-year-old, who denies murdering 17-year-old Jayden Parkinson but admits manslaughter, launched a torrent of abuse at prosecutor Richard Latham, QC.

But he admitted to the court he was a “nasty c***” and said he had grabbed every girl he had ever been with, many around the neck.

Blakeley, of Reading, says he accidentally killed Jayden, from Didcot, after grabbing her throat in a field near East Hagbourne on December 3.

The former binman, who says he was abused by his own father growing up, sobbed as he recounted the days after Jayden’s death under questioning from his defence barrister Richard Benson, QC.

But in the afternoon, prosecutor Richard Latham QC told Blakeley he was a “cold, ruthless and calculating individual”.

Mr Latham told the court that the grave Blakeley measured out at All Saint’s Church graveyard, Didcot, to bury Jayden in was 1.67m – her exact height.

He told the jury the next morning, December 4, when Blakeley was arrested on a separate charge of possessing indecent images of Jayden on his phone, he began to lie to authorities about what he knew of Jayden’s whereabouts.

Mr Latham said to Blakeley: “On the morning of the fifth you were rung up by police on a missing persons inquiry.

“The person about whom today you were weeping crocodile tears in this case, you said then you ‘didn’t give a f***’.”

Blakeley replied: “I tried to make them think they were wasting their time, I wasn’t with her anymore, I had no reason to know where she was because she wasn’t my girl.”

Mr Latham said: “You had killed her two days earlier and her body was beginning to rot in the ground.”

At that point, Blakeley began swearing at the lawyer, and shouted out: “Give me a life sentence I deserve it.”

Judge Patrick Eccles adjourned the case for five minutes for him to calm down.

Blakeley admitted that he had continued to lie until Jayden’s body was discovered on December 18.

At one point, the court heard, he rang the One Foot Forward hostel in Oxford where Jayden had been staying to ask if anyone knew where she was.

Mr Latham said he wanted to establish not just that Blakeley was a liar, but that he was a “cunning liar”.

Blakeley and a 17-year-old who cannot be named for legal reasons admit perverting the course of justice. The teenager denies preventing lawful burial.

The trial will resume on Monday.

• You can subscribe to get alerts on the Jayden trial direct to your phone via our new WhatsApp service. Text JAYDEN and your full name to 07767 417704. Save the number in to your phone as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed

  • Our top stories:

Rising cost of delayed tower blocks revamp will top £20m

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 29th May 2015

A MULTI-million pound project to refurbish Oxford’s five tower blocks could be delayed by almost a year.

Oxford University is set to appoint its first female vice-chancellor

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Friday 29th May 2015

THE first female vice-chancellor of Oxford University has been nominated by committee members and could take up her post next January.

Martin Nganga guilty of arson after setting fire to Blackbird Leys house

Oxford Mail:

2:27pm Friday 29th May 2015

A businessman has been found guilty of arson with intent to endanger life after setting fire to a house in Blackbird Leys.

Missing woman Sandra McDonald from Cowley found safe and well

Oxford Mail:

2:19pm Friday 29th May 2015

A Cowley woman missing for almost a week has been found safe and well.

Severe weather warning for strong winds for Oxfordshire today

Oxford Mail: Wild winds headed towards Cornwall

11:17am Friday 29th May 2015

Strong winds are set to hit Oxfordshire today as a severe weather warnig was issued

FOOTBALL: Pitch woe gives Oxford City a headache

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Friday 29th May 2015

Oxford City have vowed to improve the pitch at their Marsh Lane home after plans to install a 3G artificial surface in time for their National League South debut were shelved write Matthew Bruce and Michael Race.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree