Support for junior Oxford in Bloom competition withers

Support for junior Oxford in Bloom competition withers

Support for junior Oxford in Bloom competition withers

First published in News

Young gardeners have failed to dig into the junior heat of this year’s Oxford in Bloom competition.

Only two schools from across the city submitted entries to the junior branch of the contest before applications closed on Sunday.

Pupils from East Oxford Primary School, in Union Street, and Wood Farm Primary School, in Titup Hall Drive, are the only two to sign up.

Last year, four schools entered the junior section.

Wood Farm Primary pupils have been growing flowers and vegetables as part of their entry.

Year Three teacher Hannah Barton, 29, said: “I think it’s a very positive experience for children to grow things.

“Some of our children won’t have gardens living in flats and I think it’s good for them to plant things and see them grow.

“I have really enjoyed it and it’s nice to work with them in a different way than in the classroom.”

The school’s two floral displays were created by pupils from all year groups, as part of the school’s Wood Farm Commitment.

The school drew up the pledge to involve pupils in a variety of activities including learning to grow and cook healthier food.

Miss Barton said: “A huge part of what we are doing here is learning and making sure they can perform in their key skills.

“It’s about giving them opportunities so that we can build them up as individuals.”

Judging for the junior heat will begin on Monday, July 14, before entrants are invited to a presentation evening during September.

Although so few entries may have been received for the junior competition, general applications for the main contest are still open.

Oxford in Bloom committee chairwoman Karen Roberts said: “It is disappointing, but hopefully we will have a lot more for the competition itself.

“I think that what we need to do is get schools on board, maybe going round and talking to them.

“We enter the Britain in Bloom competition as well and it helps if everybody looks after their garden. It’s nice to think that we are helping make the city look beautiful.”

The competition offers the community the opportunity to enhance their neighbourhood’s environment.

A team of judges will visit each entry and award marks across various categories, including colour, impact, tidiness, arrangement and design.

Residents and business across the city are encouraged to submit their entries before the competition comes to a close on Monday, July 21. So far, 38 gardeners have entered.

Alongside Junior Oxford in Bloom, prizes between £25 and £100 will be awarded for categories including the Most Beautiful Container and the Best Large or Small Garden. Each entry into the Oxford in Bloom competition support’s the city during the Britain in Bloom contest.

Competition entries can be submitted online at oxford.gov.uk/ oxfordinbloom

  • Our top stories:

Man fell into cellar window after leaving pub

Oxford Mail: Oxfordshire County Council county hall

12:00am Thursday 18th September 2014

A MAN who was “heavily intoxicated” died after falling into a cellar window, an inquest heard yesterday.

Mum-of-two from Oxfordshire leads fight against Ebola

Oxford Mail:

5:43pm Wednesday 17th September 2014

A mum-of-two from Oxfordshire has become the first person in the world to be injected with an Ebola gene as part of a city-led battle against the deadly virus.

Delays for drivers at junction nine of the M40

Oxford Mail: Lorry jackknifes on M40 causing traffic tailbacks

4:37pm Wednesday 17th September 2014

A broken-down car is causing delays on the M40 southbound near Bicester.

Escaped prisoner arrested in Oxford

Oxford Mail:

2:25pm Wednesday 17th September 2014

An escaped prisoner was arrested in Oxford this morning along with a man and a woman.

New: Get Oxford Mail news alerts sent direct to your phone via Whatsapp

Oxford Mail: Whats App logo

11:50am Tuesday 3rd June 2014

OXFORD Mail readers can now sign up to get major breaking news alerts sent direct to their mobile phones with a new service using Whatsapp.

Set for a battle of Blenheim over 1,500 homes plan

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 9th September 2014

RESIDENTS in Woodstock have vowed to “fight until the bitter end” against plans to build up to 1,500 homes east of the town.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree