THE man who killed Jayden Parkinson told prison staff "I'm a celebrity now" and wanted to watch himself on TV, a jury heard.
This morning evidence was given by staff who work at HMP Bullingdon about what Ben Blakeley said after he was arrested and while the search for his ex-girlfriend was still going on.
The head of the outpatients department at the prison, Cally Brinsley, told a jury in Oxford Crown Court that the 22-year-old tried on a number of occasions to talk about Jayden's death, telling her he "never meant this to happen" and wished he could take it back.
But she added after saying this Blakeley seemed to want a reward for giving her information and asked: "Can I have a TV now?"
The witness said: "He wasn't very happy about being on constant watch.
"He wanted to watch himself on the news and see what was going on.
"That is all he spoke about."
She also gave evidence that he told her: "I'm a celebrity now Miss."
But as the witness said this in court Blakeley shouted "that's a lie, that's a lie" and refused to stay in the dock.
Describing his reaction to learning that Jayden's body had been found Mrs Brinsley added: "He was in quite an excited state, as if he was expecting exciting news, and then he asked about the TV again - that was his main priority."
A governor at the prison, Carol Gaskin, said in a statement that was read out that Blakeley gave her a "confession" to pass to police and told her he "had done everything he could" to save the 17-year-old's life.
He admits manslaughter but denies murdering Jayden on December 3 last year after she told him she was pregnant with his child.
Blakeley and a 17-year-old, who cannot be named, both admit perverting the course of justice by moving and burying Jayden's body, which was discovered in an existing grave in a cemetery next to All Saint's Church, Dicot, on December 18.
The 17-year-old denies one count of preventing a lawful burial.
- You can subscribe to get alerts on the Jayden trial direct to your phone via our new WhatsApp service. Text JAYDEN and your full name to 07767 417704
Our top stories:
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- Management consultants Newton Europe named Business of the Year at 2016 Oxfordshire Business Awards
- Eating Weetabix and brown rice could help prevent an early death say experts
- VIDEO: Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech