TENNIS fever gripped new players who had been inspired by watching Wimbledon.
North Oxford Lawn Tennis Club in Banbury Road opened its courts for young and old at an event which attracted nearly 200 people on Sunday.
Head coach Christopher Hampton said: “It was a great success. I think Wimbledon and the weather helped massively.
“Especially after England’s disastrous performance in the World Cup people want a sport we have a chance in. There were a lot of new faces there and there was a fresh bunch of people trying out tennis for the first time.”
The club has been working with schools in the Kidlington area and many children attended the event after catching the tennis bug in sessions at school.
The club opens its doors two or three times a year and the next open day will be held on Saturday, July 19, from 10am to 4pm.
- Our top stories:
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit