A SCHOOL has launched an online “virtual” art gallery thanks to a £5,000 grant.
Wood Green School in Witney has created a page on its website which gives visitors a chance to view pupils’ and local artists’ work from their desks.
A 360-degree panoramic view has been taken of the exhibits and allows users to zoom in on individual artworks.
The first show includes work by A-Level students, which forms part of their assessment by the exam board.
Richard Young, director of digital learning, said: “The Witney Education Foundation invited the school to create a project which would capture and record the creativity of local artists.
“It seemed the perfect solution.
"A small group of student Digital Leaders can now use their IT expertise to collaborate with artists in local schools and the community.
“The outcome will be online exhibitions stored for future generations to view at their leisure.”
Each school art exhibition will have its own virtual gallery and the school hopes artists from the area, or other schools wishing to exhibit their art will use the facility and create a West Oxfordshire Virtual Gallery.
Witney Education Foundation is the trustee of a bequest from Isabelle Spencer, a former deputy headteacher of the town's Henry Box School.
Miss Spencer, who worked at the school for more than 25 years, died in 2011 and left money to the Witney Education Foundation to use for the town’s young people.
She was well known in the world of amateur dramatics and was a founder member of the Witney Dramatic Society in 1948.
Wood Green headteacher Rob Shadbolt said he hoped the online gallery would expose more people to the school’s work.
Mr Shadbolt, above, said: “When I arrived at Wood Green School last year I was impressed by the quality and originality of work coming out of the art department.
“I am delighted that, thanks to the Witney Education Foundation, we can now share our artwork with a wider audience in this original way.”
- To view The 2014 Wood Green School Art Exhibition, go to woodgreen.oxon.sch.uk/photo-gallery-2.php
- Our top stories
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay