A YOUTH charity in the city has created a mobile accessible website to help potential victims of child sex exploitation.
Oxford Youth Works built the site Safety 4 Me after hearing about the predatory sex crimes of the Oxford grooming gang at the centre of Operation Bullfinch, and TV entertainer Jimmy Savile.
Ieuan Watkins, a youth development worker at the charity, said: “We have never done anything like this before. But we said someone had to do something.”
He said it would educate people about sexual exploitation and therefore prevent it.
The site hosts a series of questions to the user then tells them if they are in a healthy relationship. If not, they are referred to telephone numbers of charities including Childline.
Mr Watkins said: “This is literally in the young people’s hands and can be there 24/7.”
The programme was developed after a £3,000 donation from an anonymous Oxford trust.
Mr Watkins said a proper phone app would have cost about £25,000 and this mobile accessible site was more discreet so abusers could not tell their victims had been looking at it.
Watlington Road-based Oxford Youth Works has been in the city for 25 years this year and works in schools to support children.
- To use the service visit the site at safety4me.net
Our top stories:
Update: Bullfinch: More than 350 youngsters potential abuse victims as campaigner calls for action not apologies
7:46am Monday 2nd March 2015
MORE than 350 youngsters in Oxfordshire have been identified as potential victims of groomers, the Oxford Mail understands.
3:52pm Monday 2nd March 2015
The M40 has reportedly been closed northbound between J8 and J8A near the Wheatley services due to an accident.
2:01pm Monday 2nd March 2015
International rap superstar Kanye West is expected in Oxford this afternoon for a talk at the Museum of Natural History.
9:00am Monday 2nd March 2015
THE SKELETON of a woman thought to be nearly 400 years old has been unearthed at an Oxford college.
8:44am Monday 2nd March 2015
PUPILS across the county will find out today whether they have got their first-choice of school as Oxfordshire County Council issues places for secondary schools today.