Elderly finally return to their homes after last year’s flood

80-year-old resident June Walker enjoys a cuppa with Helen Robinson, 79, and estate manager Dave Smith

Firefighters clear debris to help ease the flooding at Hanover Gardens last December

First published in News by

PENSIONERS who were evacuated from their homes on Christmas Eve after they were flooded out have finally moved back in.

In the early hours of December 24, the River Bure, a brook which runs through Bicester, burst its banks after heavy rain About 20 elderly people, who lived in the ground-floor flats at Hanover Gardens in Manorsfield Road, were evacuated at about 4am and a further 35 residents moved out during the day.

Some residents in top-floor apartments were able to move back home days after Christmas, but for others it wasn’t until this week that they could finally return to their homes.

Ground-floor apartments went through an extensive drying out process of about eight weeks and have had to have kitchens replaced and rooms redecorated. The common room and laundry area were both damaged, but are now back in action.

Most areas at the sheltered housing complex are back to normal with just new curtains to hang and doormats to be put in place.

Estate manager Dave Smith said: “They are so glad to be back.

“All their clubs, like knitting and bingo, are back up and running.”

Many residents had to live in temporary accommodation or with relatives.

After the flooding, the community rallied around to stage and fund a belated Christmas party for residents and raised cash to help replaced ruined belongings.

The Ex-Services Club has been helping to organise activities, including bingo, while Tesco has donated a buffet for the residents at the site’s annual general meeting, tomorrow.

Hanover spokesman Rob Ghosh said: “Most of the residents have returned to their properties except for one resident who has decided to stay with family for a bit longer.”

At this stage the housing association still does not have a final total of how much the flood damage cost.

Mr Ghosh said the cause of the flooding was “detritus” which had been washed down stream from up to three miles away.

Hanover Housing Association has reached the final stage of the Best 50+ awards, in the assisted living provider category. Winners will be announced at the 50+ Show on Wednesday, July 10, at London’s Olympia.

  • Our top stories:

Acts jump through hoops as Big Feastival begins

Oxford Mail:

12:00am Saturday 30th August 2014

SOPHIE Greenwood showed punters at the Big Feastival how to hula yesterday, as the event opened with musical performances from Reggae Reggae sauce entrepreneur Levi Roots and Abba tribute act Bjorn Again.

William Blencowe sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering Connor Tremble

Oxford Mail:

10:13am Friday 29th August 2014

William Blencowe has been sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Connor Tremble.

Family concerned about missing teenager

Oxford Mail:

3:32pm Friday 29th August 2014

A TEENAGER has gone missing with police and his family fearing for his welfare.

Roadworks on A420 near Shrivenham finish a week early

Oxford Mail: a420 alert

3:09pm Friday 29th August 2014

Roadworks scheduled to rumble on until mid-September have finished a week early.

RUGBY UNION: Piri relishing life at Welsh

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Friday 29th August 2014

World Cup winning superstar Piri Weepu is more than happy to muck in at London Welsh.

Connor Tremble murder: Fatal attack fuelled by jealousy over ex

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 29th August 2014

JEALOUS Will Blencowe stabbed Connor Tremble 15 times when he found out he was dating his former girlfriend Aimee Harrison, the court heard.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:12pm Thu 26 Jun 14

Geoff Grace says...

So residents have moved back. Are they ready for the next flood.The Environment Agency have made a very minimum change to the debris grate.
The embankments are collapsing.
Cherwell council have approved plans to allow more flash rainwater to spill into the Bure stream from more upstream developments.
Flooding regularly occurs in Bicester town centre.
So residents have moved back. Are they ready for the next flood.The Environment Agency have made a very minimum change to the debris grate. The embankments are collapsing. Cherwell council have approved plans to allow more flash rainwater to spill into the Bure stream from more upstream developments. Flooding regularly occurs in Bicester town centre. Geoff Grace
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree