Hot weather caused recycling centre blaze

Hot weather caused recycling centre blaze

Hot weather caused recycling centre blaze

First published in News
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Witney and West Oxfordshire. Call me on 01865 425483

HOT weather caused a major blaze at a waste depot in South Oxfordshire yesterday, a fire service spokesman said today.

Fire bosses said oily rags caught fire after being exposed to intense sunlight at Grundon Waste Management Ltd, Ewelme, near Benson.

Plumes of smoke could be seen for miles around when the fire broke out at about 7.20pm.

Oxfordshire County Council spokesman Martin Crabtree said: "The cause has been determined as accidental.

“It was caused by the breakdown of organic materials in sunlight leading to slow burning, which we believe commenced in the late afternoon.

“We have confirmed with Thames Valley Police that the fire is accidental‎ and is not being treated as suspicious.”

About 75 firefighters - including crews from Banbury, Berkshire and Didcot - tackled the blaze.

The fire was put out by 3am and was contained in the sorting building of the depot, in Goulds Grove.

Click the related links in the box for more pictures.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree