A BURGLAR who broke into the farm where he worked as "revenge” for what he claimed was bad treatment has been jailed.
Darren Herron, 21, of St John’s Close, Didcot, was handed a two-year prison sentence on Thursday by a judge in Oxford Crown Court.
Together with Matthew Dix, 18, of Laburnum Grove, Didcot, he broke into Ashdown Farm, in Aston Tirrold, near Didcot, on May 12.
Tetteh Turkson, prosecuting, said the pair broke in and stole gold jewellery worth £6,000, which they took to a Cash Converters and had melted down, and an Apple MacBook.
Timothy Greaves, defending both men, said Herron was the main driving force behind the crime because of what he saw as bullying at his workplace.
He said: “Mr Herron was the trigger for this offence and Mr Dix went along with him. Mr Herron takes full responsibility for that.”
The barrister added that both you men were somewhat “vulnerable” and had suffered from depression.
Judge Gordon Risius noted that while Dix had no previous convictions, Herron had non-dwelling burglaries and criminal damage on his record.
He said: “Herron, you had worked at this farm for four years.
“It seems you resented the way you had been treated there and the burglary was your way of seeking revenge.
“You told police you would have carried it out on your own even without your co-defendant’s involvement.
“I have no idea what, if anything, gave rise to your resentment, but this was a very foolish way of dealing with it, because it has made your position worse.”
He sentenced Dix to 21 months in prison, suspended for two years, with 100 hours of unpaid work and a rehabilitation course requirement.
- Our top stories:
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes