PERHAPS more people should own their own road. The group in Poplar Road, Botley, get to take matters into their own hands.
Rather than being frustrated by the state of potholes in their street and expecting the local authority to do something about it, they kit themselves out with sand and gravel and do it themselves.
It is also a great show of community spirit and encourages activities like street parties and barbecues.
Though given the state of some of the county roads, perhaps it is a good thing we all don’t have to fix their surfaces, else we might be labouring a long time.
Our top stories:
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit