PERHAPS more people should own their own road. The group in Poplar Road, Botley, get to take matters into their own hands.
Rather than being frustrated by the state of potholes in their street and expecting the local authority to do something about it, they kit themselves out with sand and gravel and do it themselves.
It is also a great show of community spirit and encourages activities like street parties and barbecues.
Though given the state of some of the county roads, perhaps it is a good thing we all don’t have to fix their surfaces, else we might be labouring a long time.
Our top stories:
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community