MUSIC store HMV will close today, bosses have confirmed.
Administrators said in January that the Cornmarket Street store would shut in March, but the closure date was then extended until today.
It was claimed they were looking for another location in the city, but no further announcement has been made and a member of staff, who asked not to be named, said yesterday: “Wednesday is our last day of trade.
“We don’t have another trading location 100 per cent confirmed and the store will shut.”
A poster in the shop window said: “We hope to relocate in Oxford but in the meantime you can still get the music, film, games and technology you love from HMV Reading, The Oracle.”
HMV will open at 8.30am today and close for the last time at 6.30pm.
The company went into administration in January, following a tough Christmas period for high street shops.
It had struggled with weak consumer spending, combined with competition from the internet and supermarkets.
But it was saved when UK firm Hilco made a rescue deal worth £50m in April with administrators Deloitte.
That deal included 141 stores and 2,500 jobs, ending fears that the brand would disappear.
Our top stories:
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon