THE man who will take responsibility for the county’s academies has said he will “stand up” up for schools.
Martin Post will take up the role of Regional Schools Commissioner – a new position set up by the Department for Education for each different region in the country – from September.
He will be responsible for Oxfordshire as well as north west London and the south central region.
Mr Post will monitor academy school performance and will be able to step in when there are problems, and will approve new academies in the county.
Government documents say he will also be able to approve Government intervention plans in underperforming academies, recruit academy sponsors and “pause” the expansion of struggling academies.
He said: “So what difference will parents and pupils notice once I take up my post in September?
“First, you will have a local person speaking up for academies in your area.
Secondly, I will take swift action when your school is not performing and I will be fighting their corner when they need support. Finally, I will be able to take local concerns and raise them at a national level.”
• Our top stories:
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes