Puppeteer recalls day his name was misspelled on Star Wars film credits

Puppeteer recalls day his name was misspelled on Star Wars film credits

Hugh Spight holds a photo of the character he played in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi

A still from the film showing Hugh on the left with his hand on Harrison Ford’s shoulder

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Blackbird Leys and Greater Leys. Call me on 01865 425403

STAR Wars made Harrison Ford one of Hollywood’s most famous actors but it left one Oxford puppeteer behind.

In 1982 Hugh Spight spent six weeks at Elstree Studios filming with the star in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.

But he believes his chance at fame was shot down when his name was misspelled during the credits, renaming him Hugh Spirit. He said: “I don’t know how it happened, its a bit of a mystery. I was a bit gutted really.

We were in the cinema with everybody that I knew, and I saw it come up and just thought ‘Oh no!’.”

Mr Spight, 67, played several small background roles in the film – a pig-like Gamorian guard, a Mon Calamari fish creature and an Elom monster.

Originally trained in ballet dancing, Mr Spight made it on to the Star Wars set after he was spotted next door on the set of Muppet-creator Jim Henson’s movie The Dark Crystal.

Mr Spight, who has lived in Oxford for the last seven years, said: “I had already been in the Star Wars studios for months and months with Dark Crystal.

“We’d looked at each other’s sets and works.

“At the end of Dark Crystal filming they asked a couple of us if we would look at coming on their set, so a few of us did. I was just in the right place at the right time and with the right skills.”

Mr Spight’s biggest role is as the Gamorian guard who escorts Mr Ford’s character Han Solo into captivity.

He said: “We were on Jabba the Hutt’s barge and in those scenes I was the one who had my hand on the shoulder of Harrison Ford.

“We had to take him down to the dungeon.

“Harrison Ford didn’t communicate a lot about anything other than what he wanted us to do in response to his actions. He directed his scenes and you just had to do it.”

He said: “For that character I had an image of John Wayne in my mind because it was such a big costume and you’ve got to move accordingly.

“It was the same type of swagger, a very full-bodied movement.

“It wasn’t hard work really, but in the costumes it’s very tricky to move because they’re so big. I nearly fell down the stairs.”

Now, more than 30 years after the film was released, Star Wars fans have tracked Mr Spight down. He said: “A couple of weeks ago somebody who organised signings contacted me and said they’d worked it out online. Apparently hundreds of people would want to get my signature.”

Mr Spight is tentatively taking his first steps into fame, adding: “I don’t want to be ripped off, but I’ll do a limited number of signatures. It might be nice.”

  • Our top stories:

Mum says Oxford Health let down son who escaped mental hospital

Oxford Mail: Ian McLean

9:00am Friday 30th January 2015

THE family of man who escaped a mental hospital, fled abroad then hanged himself in a prison cell have said he was let down by Oxford Health.

UPDATE: Snow and sleet forecast for Saturday in Oxfordshire

Oxford Mail: Ice warning for Sussex after more snow falls

12:06pm Thursday 29th January 2015

SNOW has been forecast for Oxfordshire on Sunday and Monday and a yellow weather warning is still in place for today.

Julia Knight appears in court charged with attempted murder of patient in Horton General Hospital

Oxford Mail:

4:14pm Friday 30th January 2015

A WOMAN charged with the attempted murder of a hospital patient today appeared in Oxford Crown Court.

Update: Man in court accused of £4.8m fraud at Mini plant

Oxford Mail: The production line for the mini at the BMW plant in Cowley as it looks now

3:50pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has been accused of fraudulently pocketing £4.8m from the assembly and services division at the Mini plant in Cowley.

Oxfordshire County Council chief executive Joanna Simons to stand down in June - and will not be replaced

Oxford Mail: Joanna Simons

1:10pm Friday 30th January 2015

OXFORDSHIRE'S biggest local authority will scrap its top unelected position as part of a radical shake-up to save costs, it was revealed today.

Andrew Main appears in court charged with South Oxfordshire arsons

Oxford Mail:

1:13pm Friday 30th January 2015

A MAN has today appeared in court accused of three arson attacks in South Oxfordshire, including those that destroyed district council offices and a funeral parlour.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree