Blaze started by lit pipe led to man’s death

.

.

First published in News

A SECOND World War veteran died in his home in a fire started by his pipe, an inquest heard.

Oliver Minchin, 93, died at Preston Road, Abingdon, on January 26, after the blaze, Oxfordshire Coroner’s Court was told yesterday.

The court heard fire crews from Abingdon and Didcot arrived at the home at about 6pm after receiving two 999 calls.

Watch manager Mat Nind said the most probable cause of the fire was Mr Minchin dropping his lit pipe or tobacco on to his chair in the kitchen.

He added that a carbon monoxide alarm in the home activated, and that two pipes, a bag of tobacco and a knife were found on a silver trolley next to Mr Minchin, who had suffered severe burns.

Neighbour Monica Wreyford told the hearing in a statement that she visited Mr Minchin to give him his meals and that he had eaten cheese and biscuits at about 4pm.

At about 6pm her husband told her that Mr Minchin had set his house on fire.

Earlier this year she said Mr Minchin had served on battleships during the Second World War and survived two torpedo attacks.

Consultant pathologist Dr Lucy Winter, who carried out a post-mortem examination, said the cause of death was smoke inhalation and severe burns.

Mr Minchin, a retired accountant and widower, was also suffering from lung cancer but had told his GP he did not want it to be treated, the court was told.

Oxfordshire coroner Darren Salter recorded a verdict of accidental death. He said: “The most probable cause is the lit pipe or tobacco falling on to the fabric of the chair he was sitting on.”

• Our top stories:

Oxfordshire ambulance services accused of "playing god" and "putting lives at risk" in new drug trial

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 27th January 2015

CARDIAC arrest patients could be given a salt solution instead of adrenaline as part of a new medical trial in Oxfordshire.

Iffley Road complex to be named after Olympian Acer Nethercott

Oxford Mail:

7:48pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

THE first phase of the £60 million redevelopment of Oxford University’s Iffley Road sports facilities could be completed by July 2016.

Arson-struck funeral home is overwhelmed by support

Oxford Mail:

7:30pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

STAFF at a funeral directors said they have been inundated with messages of support after a devastating blaze caused an estimated £100,000 worth of damage.

Health worker strike that would have seen staff walk out in Oxfordshire called off at 11th hour

Oxford Mail: John Radcliffe Hospital stock

7:13pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

A PLANNED strike by health workers has been called off less than 48 hours before it was due to start.

Snow forecast to hit Oxfordshire on Thursday morning

Oxford Mail: Pictures of snow from across the county

4:10pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

Heavy snow is set to hit the county on Thursday morning, according to the Met Office.

Jayden trial: Jury in Jake Blakeley case sent home for the night

Oxford Mail: Jake Blakeley, 18, from Didcot

2:57pm Tuesday 27th January 2015

THE jury in the Jake Blakeley trial has been sent home for the night.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree