Blaze started by lit pipe led to man’s death

.

.

First published in News

A SECOND World War veteran died in his home in a fire started by his pipe, an inquest heard.

Oliver Minchin, 93, died at Preston Road, Abingdon, on January 26, after the blaze, Oxfordshire Coroner’s Court was told yesterday.

The court heard fire crews from Abingdon and Didcot arrived at the home at about 6pm after receiving two 999 calls.

Watch manager Mat Nind said the most probable cause of the fire was Mr Minchin dropping his lit pipe or tobacco on to his chair in the kitchen.

He added that a carbon monoxide alarm in the home activated, and that two pipes, a bag of tobacco and a knife were found on a silver trolley next to Mr Minchin, who had suffered severe burns.

Neighbour Monica Wreyford told the hearing in a statement that she visited Mr Minchin to give him his meals and that he had eaten cheese and biscuits at about 4pm.

At about 6pm her husband told her that Mr Minchin had set his house on fire.

Earlier this year she said Mr Minchin had served on battleships during the Second World War and survived two torpedo attacks.

Consultant pathologist Dr Lucy Winter, who carried out a post-mortem examination, said the cause of death was smoke inhalation and severe burns.

Mr Minchin, a retired accountant and widower, was also suffering from lung cancer but had told his GP he did not want it to be treated, the court was told.

Oxfordshire coroner Darren Salter recorded a verdict of accidental death. He said: “The most probable cause is the lit pipe or tobacco falling on to the fabric of the chair he was sitting on.”

• Our top stories:

Royals and residents join to mourn a popular Duke

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Saturday 25th October 2014

FAMILY, friends and schoolchildren paid their final respects to the 11th Duke of Marlborough at his funeral in Woodstock yesterday.

Bowl-ed over by green cup to drink tea in style

Oxford Mail:

6:40am Saturday 25th October 2014

IT may be Britain’s favourite beverage, but leave your mugs at home for this new exhibition showing how to drink tea in style.

Flooding victims told they won't be left out of pocket

Oxford Mail: Burst water main closes Lower Hall Lane in Chingford

6:30am Saturday 25th October 2014

FLOOD-HIT residents will not have to pay two sets of council tax after water bosses pledged to foot extra costs.

'Major hope' that Caterham factory in Leafield could re-open despite F1 team also going into administration

Oxford Mail:

1:34pm Friday 24th October 2014

ADMINISTRATORS have been handed full management responsibility for the Caterham Formula One team in a bid to find a new buyer.

UPDATE: Hundreds line Woodstock's streets for 11th Duke of Marlborough's funeral

Oxford Mail:

11:40am Friday 24th October 2014

HUNDREDS of people have gathered outside St Mary Magdalene's church in Woodstock to pay their respects to the 11th Duke of Marlborough.

Elderly woman taken to hospital after A4074 crash

Oxford Mail: a4074 alert

1:01pm Friday 24th October 2014

AN ELDERLY woman was taken to hospital after two cars crashed on the A4074. 

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree