Doctor’s behaviour ‘fell far below what was acceptable’

Doctor’s behaviour ‘fell far below what was acceptable’

Doctor’s behaviour ‘fell far below what was acceptable’

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Health reporter, also covering Kidlington. Call me on 01865 425271

A HOSPITAL boss defended the sacking of a doctor for sexual harassment at an employment tribunal yesterday.

Professor Edward Baker spoke for Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust at a case brought by the doctor, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

He was dismissed in late 2012 following complaints by two female trainee doctors and lost an appeal that was heard in May 2013.

One said the middle-aged doctor touched her leg in his office and the other said he sent “persistent” text messages asking her to his house.

The trainees said he told them they would get unfavourable write-ups in their progress reports if they didn’t.

But the consultant has said the allegations were fabricated to force him out of his job as part of a cost-cutting drive.

Prof Baker, then the trust’s medical director and deputy chief executive, said the consultant felt he had been “misconstrued” over the woman he sent messages to “due to his poor command of English”.

He said: “The claimant did not deny asking about her personal life or discussing meeting privately but said this was a result of his concerns for her and with her interests in mind as she was a poor trainee.”

Prof Baker said: “We did not accept this was a well-intentioned attempt to provide support to a struggling trainee.”

The other trainee was lying, the consultant claimed.

Both accounts were “strikingly similar” Prof Baker said, adding: “We felt the behaviour of the claimant fell far below what was acceptable from any employee and in particular a senior clinician with responsibility for trainees.”

The dismissal was not related to a proposed restructure and “in reality caused problems for the trust” he said.

The married consultant is suing the trust for unfair dismissal, breach of contract, racial discrimination, sexual discrimination and loss of wages at Reading Tribunal Centre.

Our top stories:

FOOTBALL: Mike Ford is relishing challenge after taking over as Banbury United boss

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 23rd May 2015

Former Oxford United captain Mike Ford is relishing a return to management with Banbury United, after spending more than a year out of the game.

Jury told fire started because businessman thought best man was having affair with wife

Oxford Mail:

8:29am Friday 22nd May 2015

A HOUSE fire that forced people to jump for their lives was started by a businessman who accused his best man of having an affair with his wife, a jury heard.

UPDATE: Missing woman Rachel Selby from Banbury found safe

Oxford Mail:

3:16pm Friday 22nd May 2015

A WOMAN who went missing from Banbury has been found, police said

Person hit by train between Slough and Reading likely to affect Oxford rail services to London

Oxford Mail: A First Great Western High Speed Train

3:24pm Friday 22nd May 2015

TRAINS from Oxford could be disrupted after a person was hit by a train between Slough and Reading.

Teenagers arrested after robbery in Hythe Bridge Street

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

3:23pm Friday 22nd May 2015

TWO teenagers have been arrested after a robbery in Hythe Bridge Street.

Oxford United stepping up interest in striker Ryan Taylor

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Friday 22nd May 2015

Ryan Taylor remains firmly on Oxford United’s radar despite the signing of Kemar Roofe, according to head coach Michael Appleton.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree