Rock star Colin Greenwood was one of the thousands of participants at the 10th Blenheim Palace Triathlon this weekend.
The Radiohead bassist was a member of Scarlett’s Dragons, a team which raised more than £100,000 for Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research by swimming across a lake in the grounds, and cycling and running around the palace.
Team member Dan Clarkson’s daughter Scarlett was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia three years ago.
Despite initial chemotherapy, Scarlett, now nine, suffered a relapse and will need ongoing treatment for the next two years.
Mr Greenwood, 44, said: “The hardest bit was the swimming. I’m a rubbish swimmer. I was tempted to ask for my own rescue kayak to follow me.
“As a band we’ve been involved with helping causes, but this is something I’ve never done before.
“To have raised so much money is really exciting. Radiohead fans have been fantastic and given so much.”
To donate to Scarlett’s Dragons, go to: virginmoneygiving.com/DanClarkson
Our top stories:
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops
- Time-travelling story takes top spot in our Ox Tales competition
- Former Oxford City director Thomas Guerriero pleads guilty to $6.6m fraud
- Police confirm dead baby was newborn and renew desperate appeal to find mother
- Adam says yes after reading girlfriend's Leap Day proposal on the Oxford Mail website
- Council planning new PSPO to tackle illegal boaters in Oxford