George Street roadworks set to continue city chaos

George Street roadworks set to continue city chaos

George Street roadworks set to continue city chaos

First published in News

ROADWORKS in George Street look set to continue for longer than expected, causing extended misery for motorists.

The closure of the city centre street had been expected to end this week.

Construction firm ISG Ltd needs the street closed while it carries out work on a building.

But spokesman Nick Hann said they had been informed by Thames Water that the street needs to be shut for longer because new infrastructure has to be built underneath it. He said the last part of the installation needs to be redesigned because of the discovery of unsuitable ground conditions.

He said: “Thames Water will continue to carry out this work as quickly as possible and we anticipate that the road will reopen later this month. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.”

The closure, which began on May 12, is causing major disruption through the city centre with temporary traffic lights at the junction of Hythe Bridge Street and Worcester Street.

Bus services have been re-routed via Beaumont Street, where parking has been suspended to allow for the temporary stops.

Stagecoach Oxfordshire’s S1, S2, S3, 14, 17 and 18 services are affected, while Oxford Bus Company’s park-and-ride 300 service is terminating in the city centre.

Once it reopens there will be one-way traffic only on George Street for around six weeks.

Top News Our top stories:

Slavery raid: Man charged with 19 crimes against 10 people

Oxford Mail:

8:14am Saturday 28th March 2015

A 44-YEAR-OLD man will appear in court this morning charged with 19 offences against 10 people following Thursday's anti-slavery raids.

Surgeries get £6.4m to extend buildings

Oxford Mail: NHS

9:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

THREE Oxfordshire GP surgeries have been awarded a total of £6.4m to expand.

Child rapist jailed for 18 years after string of brutal attacks

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

A 62-YEAR-OLD man has been jailed for 18 years for a brutal campaign of rape that started when his victim was 10 or 11.

Oxford United leave it late on whether O'Dowda starts against Carlisle

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

Michael Appleton will make a late call on his line-up, with a decision to be made on whether Callum O’Dowda is fit to start the crunch home clash with Carlisle United this afternoon.

Body in river is paedophile headteacher + video

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

A PAEDOPHILE due to be sentenced for molesting young boys was the man found dead in the River Thames on Tuesday.

Bollywood’s ‘Tom Cruise’ proves a big hit at Blenheim

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

MOVIE legend Tom Cruise filmed his latest Mission Impossible blockbuster at Blenheim Palace in December.

Get an appointment with the doctor via email or video link

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

VIDEO and email GP appointments will allow people in Oxfordshire to see their doctor at evenings and weekends in a year-long pilot.

Customers welcomed by staff gnomes

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

GNOME matter what they looked like, staff at a Frilford garden centre donned fancy dress to help raise funds for charity.

School head turns away 200 children over lack of places

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

A HEADTEACHER has said a lack of funding forced his secondary school to turn away more than 200 pupils.

Hats the way to do it! Pupils show off bonnets

Oxford Mail:

7:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

A HANDMADE Easter bonnet parade ended in sweet surprise for junior pupils from Rye St Antony School, Headington, who caught a glimpse of the Easter Bunny.

Bus drivers plan to strike in row over pay

Oxford Mail: Oxford Bus Company

7:10am Saturday 28th March 2015

OXFORD bus drivers are planning to go on strike for at least one day and possibly three.

A420 to shut for repairs as embankment starts to slip

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

CONCERNS have been raised about plans to temporarily divert traffic from the A420 Cumnor bypass through nearby villages during roadworks.

Youngsters’ technicolour dream show

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Saturday 28th March 2015

CHILDREN took to the stage to put on a colourful performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

OAP is finally in the clear after legal battle over dad’s medals

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Saturday 28th March 2015

PENSIONER Tony Berridge defied his doctor’s orders to clear his name in a Paris court, as a legal battle over his father’s medals took a new turn.

 

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:02pm Mon 9 Jun 14

The New Private Eye says...

Does The OM have a clue what they are writing. 4 weeks ago when they first reported this story, they said that George Street would be fully closed for 10 weeks, and then one-way only for another 5 weeks. So either they made up the original report, or haven't bothered to check what they first wrote. And this from a paper that tells us it is the best local paper in the country???
Does The OM have a clue what they are writing. 4 weeks ago when they first reported this story, they said that George Street would be fully closed for 10 weeks, and then one-way only for another 5 weeks. So either they made up the original report, or haven't bothered to check what they first wrote. And this from a paper that tells us it is the best local paper in the country??? The New Private Eye
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree