ROADWORKS in George Street look set to continue for longer than expected, causing extended misery for motorists.
The closure of the city centre street had been expected to end this week.
Construction firm ISG Ltd needs the street closed while it carries out work on a building.
But spokesman Nick Hann said they had been informed by Thames Water that the street needs to be shut for longer because new infrastructure has to be built underneath it. He said the last part of the installation needs to be redesigned because of the discovery of unsuitable ground conditions.
He said: “Thames Water will continue to carry out this work as quickly as possible and we anticipate that the road will reopen later this month. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes.”
The closure, which began on May 12, is causing major disruption through the city centre with temporary traffic lights at the junction of Hythe Bridge Street and Worcester Street.
Bus services have been re-routed via Beaumont Street, where parking has been suspended to allow for the temporary stops.
Once it reopens there will be one-way traffic only on George Street for around six weeks.
Top News Our top stories:
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot