A MAN has been jailed after he was found performing a sexual act over a sleeping pregnant teenage girl.
Mustafa Ahmed was yesterday handed an 18-month jail sentence after admitting sexual assualt on the then 17-year-old.
Sentencing him at Oxford Crown Court, Judge Ian Pringle said he believed that Ahmed thought she was 21 when it happened on December 16, 2011.
Ahmed, a Palestinian national, has already served nine months in custody and will be taken to a detention centre to be deported on release, the court was told.
Ahmed met the teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, at the Bullingdon Arms in Cowley Road, bought her drinks and then got into her taxi to a house in the same street.
She woke up to find him performing a sexual act over her.
In mitigation, Andrew Morris said the 26-year-old had come over to the country about four-and-a-half years ago as an asylum seeker.
He said: “His family were all killed in Palestine and he claimed asylum. He cannot read or write in either English or Arabic, he has no education as he left school very young.”
Sentencing, Judge Pringle said: “It must have been obvious to you that she was quite badly affected by the amount of drink she had had.”
He added he would have initially passed a higher sentence, but said: “Your counsel’s very able submissions to me have altered my view to some extent.I accept you probably believed she was 21 as that was what she probably told you. I accept that the drinks she took, she took willingly.
“You have no previous convictions and you have apologised publicly to her.”
Ahmed changed his plea to guilty last Friday during the trial.
He is the third man to have been sentenced after two other men, cousins Bilal Ahmed and Zeeshan Ahmed, were jailed.
Bilal, 27, was found guilty on Wednesday after a two-and-a-half week trial for sexual assault and jailed for three-and-a-half years.
Zeeshan, 28, was jailed for 18 months after being found guilty by the jury for perverting the course of justice.
He had threatened to shoot the victim of the sexual assault if she did not stop talking to police.
Both men were defendants in the Operation Bullfinch trial at the Old Bailey last year where seven men were jailed for a total of 95 years – Bilal was acquitted during that trial while Zeeshan was jailed for seven years.
The Thames Valley Police operation was launched in May 2011 to target men abusing young girls in Oxford.
- Our top stories:
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today