Struggling TV choir is singing out for new voices

Members of the Blackbird Leys Choir in rehearsal

Members of the Blackbird Leys Choir in rehearsal

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Reporter covering Blackbird Leys and Greater Leys. Call me on 01865 425403

THE Blackbird Leys Choir, stars of The Signing Estate television programme, may soon be silenced because it does not have enough members.

Organisers are looking for new singers to help keep the music alive on the Leys, as the group currently has just 12 members.

Committee member Hannah O’Leary said: “We are barely supporting ourselves. We’re just managing to keep our heads above water.

Mrs O’Leary, 67, said the weekly rehearsals were struggling to break even, adding: “We have had to put up membership fee from £3 to £5 a session just to keep ourselves afloat.”

Mrs O’Leary, from Cowley, said: “We have done some amazing concerts in our time. We have done really wonderful things, we just need some fresh blood.”

The group was originally put together in 2006 on Channel Five’s programme The Singing Estate.

Conductor Ivor Setterfield picked 40 out of 140 residents to form a classical choir, and the series culminated in a televised performance at the Royal Albert Hall.

They also performed for the Queen, said to be a fan of the show, at Buckingham Palace.

But now the group are struggling to perform at the local church.

Chairwoman Janice Clark said: “I don’t know if it’s the stigma still with Blackbird Leys, but we cannot get the members.

“We don’t want it to fold. We did have more people last year when we did the Rock Nativity concert with the Church of the Holy Family, but as soon as the concert finished they left.”

The group is in particular need of male singers, as they only have two at the moment.

Mrs Clark, 65, said: “We have to pay our musical director £50 a week, and the room is £15 a session.

“Currently we’re each giving the treasurer £5 a week.”

Since its formation in 2006, the group has previously received funding from Oxford City Council and Oxford Citizens Housing Association.

Mrs Clark is hoping the Blackbird Leys Parish Council will be the group’s saviour.

The Wood Farm resident said: “I’m trying to get £250 of funding, but I haven’t submitted the application yet.

“If people can’t afford £5 they can pay £3, it’s not set in stone. Whatever they can afford.”

The choir’s longest-serving member is Maggie McHugh, of Blackbird Leys, who joined eight years ago after the death of her husband Eugene.

She said: “When my husband died I needed something to inspire me.

“I’ve always enjoyed classical music and singing so I joined the choir. I was very nervous at first, but I thoroughly enjoy it.

“It’s made a big difference in my life. I’ve made lots of nice friends.”

The Blackbird Leys Choir rehearse for two hours every Wednesday at the Blackbird Leys Community Centre in Blackbird Leys Road from 6.30pm.

  • Our top stories:

Army will apologise to paratrooper after bullying claim at RAF Brize Norton upheld

Oxford Mail:

4:11pm Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE Army has said it will apologise to a paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan after his complaint of bullying was upheld.

Witney job centre cordoned off after suspicious package scare

Oxford Mail:

11:38am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A job centre was cordoned off after reports of a suspicious package.

Two road closures next week on A34 and in Oxford

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

10:52am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PARTS of the A34 and Walton Street will be closed next week as roadworks are carried out.

Thames Water under fire from residents who say they’ve been left in the dark

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

ANGRY residents flooded out of their homes say they are being left in the dark by Thames Water a week after disaster struck.

One lane of Botley Road shut for emergency work

Oxford Mail: Burst water main closes Lower Hall Lane in Chingford

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THAMES Water started emergency roadworks in Botley Road last night.

WATCH: Right royal occasion as RAF hands on helicopters + video

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PRINCE Andrew joined RAF personnel and Royal Navy staff as they paraded at RAF Benson yesterday to mark one of the base’s helicopter squadrons being officially disbanded.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree