DRIVERS are facing long delays as traffic stacks up on the A34.
There are reports of very slow traffic on the northbound road between Abingdon North and the Botley Interchange.
But Thames Valley Police has said it has not been called to any accidents in the area.
Oxford Bus Company has tweeted: "We are experiencing severe delays on all our services to and from Abingdon. Delays of up to 40 minutes are to be expected at present."
It says: "Due to road works on the Southern Bypass we are experiencing delays of up to 15 minutes on our X3 and X13 services."
And Stagecoach has said most services are experiencing delays of between 20 and 30 minutes.
Cabbie and city councillor Saj Malik said it had taken him nearly an hour to take one of his passengers from the station to Hinksey Hill, costing them £28.
He said: “The traffic is absolutely horrendous and on top of that you have got George Street which is closed. The ring road is at a complete standstill and so is Botley Road and Hythe Bridge Street.”
To compound the woe for commuters, the A40's Oxford-bound carriageway is also closed near Thornhill park and ride due to a bus on fire.
- Our top stories:
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street