RAF airman is spared jail for sex offence at woman’s home

John Norry

John Norry

First published in News

A SENIOR airman based at RAF Brize Norton who broke into a woman's house and climbed into bed with her has avoided jail.

John Norry, below, was sentenced yesterday after he admitted trespassing with intent to commit a sexual offence on November 8 last year.

The 26-year-old has served eight years in the RAF and was at the end of four weeks of leave following a tour of duty in Afghanistan when the crime took place.

Tetteh Turkson, prosecuting, said the defendant was returning to the base at around 4am when he saw a house he thought he recognised and broke in through a locked window.

The barrister told Judge Gordon Risius he got into bed with the woman who lived there and started kissing her and caressing her.

He said Norry’s victim was “terrified” but tried to stay calm because her daughter was asleep in the next room.

Mr Turkson added that the woman told him to leave and after saying he “just wanted to sleep”, the airman put his belt back on and left.

Jane Brady, defending, said her client had been drinking for 12 hours straight during the day. She said: “He was behaving absolutely recklessly and foolishly and that is accepted by him.”

Judge Risius said Norry put the woman through “a terrifying experience in the one place she was entitled to feel safe.”

But he added that he took into account his eight years service in the RAF and said it was more important to prevent him offending again.

Norry was given a three-year community order with a sex offender treatment programme and a supervision requirement.

He was also told to pay £500 compensation and £600 costs.

Our top stories:

MP calls for a public inquiry into failures to protect girls

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CALLS for an independent inquiry into the Bullfinch child abuse scandal and police and social services’ failings were growing last night.

Evidence of gang's organised abuse was ignored for years

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CHILD protection authorities feared an organised gang of paedophiles was prostituting vulnerable girls four years before Operation Bullfinch was launched – but nothing was done.

This was an honest review, says Hudspeth

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

THE leader of Oxfordshire County Council said “everyone was open and honest” about the failings exposed by the Serious Case Review.

Campaigner calling for heads to roll

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

A CHILD safety campaigner last night accused Joanna Simons and Sara Thornton of lacking integrity for refusing to take personal responsibility for Oxfordshire County Council and Thames Valley Police’s failings.

County council chief executive says she will not quit early

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

JOANNA Simons has resisted calls for her resignation and refused to say if she would take a pay off when she leaves Oxfordshire County Council.

Chief Constable admits that force failed victims but says it has improved

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 4th March 2015

CHIEF constable Sara Thornton yesterday refused to accept responsibility for the failings within Thames Valley Police.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree