A 23-YEAR-OLD man was assaulted in Oxford and taken to hospital after he became involved with a dispute over cigarettes.
Police have appealed for witnesses to the incident, which happened at about 3.10am on Saturday.
The man had been queuing for a taxi in St Aldates with friends when one of them refused another man’s request for a cigarette. When one of the friends then lit his own cigarette, the man became angry and the 23-year-old intervened.
He was punched to the head, face and upper body by the offender and two further men also got involved. After he tried to run away, the men gave chase and knocked him to the floor, before jumping on his back. He then escaped to a police station where an ambulance was called. The man was taken to hospital and later discharged.
Thames Valley Police officer Rebecca Froud, of Cowley police station, said there were between 20 and 30 people queuing when the fight happened.
She said: “I am appealing for witnesses who saw what happened or who may have taken photographs of the incident.
“I would also like to speak to anyone with any information about the incident.”
Those with information should call the non-emergency numner 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
- Our top stories:
- New faces around the county council cabinet table
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES