Family’s thanks as Canada search for backpacker, 22, continues

Tom Billings

Tom Billings

First published in News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Crime Reporter, also covering Barton and Wood Farm. Call me on (01865) 425427

THE family of missing hiker Tom Billings flew to Canada to thank the volunteers who are continuing to search for him.

The 22-year-old backpacker from Boars Hill has not been seen since he set off on a short mountain trek in Vancouver in November.

Canadian police halted the search in January and efforts were suspended until the snow cleared.

Now, as the snow is melting, the former Cokethorpe School pupil’s father Martin, mother Laura and sister Harriet have visited the North Shore Rescue team who have checked dangerous terrain and spent hundreds of hours searching for him.

Mr Billings, below, 52, said: “All those people are volunteers and they risked their lives to help us. There is a lot you don’t get out of writing a letter or penning an email that you do get out of a face to face meeting.

Oxford Mail:

“It seemed such an incredible thing they have done and are continuing to do.

“We wish it hadn’t been necessary but I feel humbled that there are people out there who do these sorts of things.”

During their visit last week, the family walked some of the route Tom may have taken before he disappeared.

Mr Billings, a lawyer with Milton Park based BrookStreet des Roches, said: “One thing you don’t get from the pictures is the sense of scale of the place.

“In some sense the piece of news I would really like to get is that every stone has been turned over and someone could say with absolute certainty that wherever Tom was he was not there.

“We would like there to be some explanation which involved Tom being somewhere else and doing something else. It is a possibility but a very faint possibility.

“I still every day look out of the window and think it would be really nice if Tom was walking up the path.”

North Shore Rescue spokesman Martin Danks said: “At the present time there is still snow in the Hanes Valley that is preventing us from continuing the ground search for Tom.

Oxford Mail:

  • Images from the helicopter search

“However, NSR as a team is very motivated to continue looking for Tom when we are in the area on another task or a maintenance run to one of our many caches in the back country.

“It was a pleasure meeting with the Billings family last week as over the past year we have established a very close relationship with them.”

The family visited Vancouver Police and gave blood DNA samples for the force to use.

Vancouver Police spokesman Brian Montague said: “The North Shore Search and Rescue are regularly on the mountains for training and to look for individuals that have run into trouble or are lost.”

 

 

 

Our top stories:

Jayden trial: Jake Blakeley tells jury his killer brother was evil

Oxford Mail: Jake Blakeley, 18, from Didcot

8:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

A TEENAGER accused of helping his brother bury the body of Jayden Parkinson wept in the dock as he was told to look at photos of the two graves.

'I'm glad my evil ex has been jailed for injuring me'

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

A WOMAN left with life-changing injuries after her violent boyfriend pulled her car’s handbrake on the A40 said she is glad the “evil” man has been jailed.

Johnny Mullins backing Oxford United's quality

Oxford Mail: Johnny Mullins

9:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

Johnny Mullins says Oxford United’s squad have the quality to get themselves out of trouble even without help from new signings.

Haggis and a wee dram on menu for Burns Night

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 24th January 2015

FAMILIES and friends across Oxford are coming together to celebrate Sunday’s Burns Night in style.

Delight at decision to replace whole water pipe in Normandy Crescent

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 24th January 2015

RESIDENTS have welcomed Thames Water’s decision to replace the water pipe running through a flood-blighted street as “a step in the right direction.”

A34 northbound re-opened after lorry crash

Oxford Mail:

8:28am Saturday 24th January 2015

THE A34 northbound between Marcham and Milton re-opened this evening after the road was closed when a lorry crashed into a ditch last night.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree