THE father of a former Oxford University press officer who died from carbon monoxide poisoning has set up an e-petition for compulsory alarms.
Katie Haines died aged 31, a month after returning from her honeymoon in 2010 when carbon monoxide from a faulty boiler led to her drowning in a bath at her home in Berkshire.
Gordon Samuel, Mrs Haines’s father, is now calling on the Government to ensure carbon monoxide alarms are fitted with carbon burning appliances.
The petition needs 100,000 signatures for it to be discussed in the House of Commons, and at present has just over 800 names.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is colourless and has no taste or smell, making it difficult to detect. Around 40 people each year die from accidental CO poisoning in England and Wales, and around 4,000 people are admitted to hospital with symptoms that could lead to brain damage and strokes, according to the Health and Safety Executive.
Only around 15 per cent of homes have CO alarms, according to the Council for Gas Detection and Environmental Monitoring.
- To back the campaign visit www.no-to-co.co.uk
• Our top stories:
8:29am Friday 22nd May 2015
A HOUSE fire that forced people to jump for their lives was started by a businessman who accused his best man of having an affair with his wife, a jury heard.
9:30am Friday 22nd May 2015
Ryan Taylor remains firmly on Oxford United’s radar despite the signing of Kemar Roofe, according to head coach Michael Appleton.
7:54am Friday 22nd May 2015
ALL LANES have reopened on the A4165 Oxford Road after a earlier incident involving a broken down van.
8:22am Friday 22nd May 2015
A CASH boost is set to create a classics hub so that the city’s children have better access to GCSE and A-Level Latin courses.
8:16am Friday 22nd May 2015
A DROP in the number of people using Oxfordshire County Council’s park-and-rides has allegedly damaged business in the city.
8:04am Friday 22nd May 2015
TIME is running out to reunite the family of a fallen soldier with his memorial plaque before the 100th anniversary of his death in the First World War.