OXFORD’S jammers burst through the French blockers in a roller derby tournament in Blackbird Leys Leisure Centre.
France’s Roller Derby Rennes travelled to Oxford to play Buckinghamshire’s Big Bucks Roller Derby and then Oxford Roller Derby on Saturday.
The French players beat Big Bucks, and were then beaten by 176-175 by Oxford.
Oxford player, therapist Heather ‘Dread Ditto’ Phillips, 28, said: “It was brilliant, a fantastic opportunity to play against a French team.”
The amateur Oxford Roller Derby takes players from 18 onwards, and the team’s oldest player is in her 40s. The team will hold an open day for new members to try the sport out at Blackbird Leys Leisure Centre today from 6pm to 8pm.
Our top stories:
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops
- Time-travelling story takes top spot in our Ox Tales competition
- Former Oxford City director Thomas Guerriero pleads guilty to $6.6m fraud
- Police confirm dead baby was newborn and renew desperate appeal to find mother
- Adam says yes after reading girlfriend's Leap Day proposal on the Oxford Mail website