POLICE said they are treating the death of a man found dead at an Oxford home yesterday as unexplained.
A man thought to be in his 30s was found dead at a flat in South Bridge Row, St Aldate’s, by police shortly after 9.15am yesterday.
A 55-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder and was in custody last night.
Police said they had responded to a “report for the fear of welfare of a man”.
Det Ch Insp Gill Wootton said: “This case is in the very early stages of investigation and we are working to establish the exact circumstances around this unexplained death.”
She said yesterday: “I would like to reassure the public that there is no danger to the wider community at this time.”
Neighbours at the flats, near the Head of the River pub, had not heard of the death.
One man, who did not want to be named, said: “We’ve had the odd drug problem over the years but other than that it’s very quiet.”
Anyone with information should call Thames Valley Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
Our top stories:
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay