IT was “bumpy, wet and disorientating” but the contestants at Faringdon’s wife- carrying contest yesterday said they had a great time.
The competition was part of a country sports afternoon at Faringdon Cricket Club to raise funds for this year’s FollyFest arts festival in the town.
The winners were rugby player Tony Hulse, 41, and “wife” for the day, Kate Howard, 41, standing in for his legal spouse, who was at work.
Miss Howard, who owns Faringdon’s Bobbin Bistro, said: “It was bumpy and wet and disorientating but very exciting.”
The seven competing couples were squirted with water as they sprinted 253-metres through the mud to make it first across the finish line.
The “wives” had to be 17 or older and weigh a minimum of 108lb, 7.7 stone, with each couple paying £10 to enter.
Miss Howard added: “After today I think there should be more wife carrying in Faringdon. I wasn’t looking forward to it, but it was really good fun.”
Tony Hulse and Kate Howard with their trophy
Mr Hulse said: “It was a brilliant idea, I’ve had a really good day.”
The sports day also included welly throwing, cheese throwing and a three-legged race.
The arts festival will be held in Faringdon market place from August 1 to 3.
- Our top stories
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot