A FATHER who abducted his six-year-old son and took him to Turkey for three months has been jailed at Oxford Crown Court.
Mustafa Duyus, 46, of Nightingale Avenue, Greater Leys, admitted committing the crime on Monday, September 2, last year when he left the country with Kubilay Ramazan.
Prosecutor John Law said that Duyus left for Istanbul from London’s Heathrow airport after telling his wife Adriana Wanat he was bringing the boy back to Oxford.
Mr Law said the boy’s mother waited for Kubilay to be brought back for around seven hours after she was expecting him before calling the police.
He told Judge Ian Pringle the offence had taken place against the background of a custody dispute between the two parents.
The barrister said a court order had been made last year barring either party from taking their son out of the country.
Mr Law said Kubilay was in Turkey for three-and-a-half months before his mother, with the help of solicitors, tracked him down and brought him back to the UK.
He added that the boy had been found sleeping on the floor, wearing shoes that were too small and was in a distressed state.
Harry Grayson, defending, said his client – who works in Turkish catering – had become concerned he was being replaced as the boy’s father by his wife’s new partner.
He said: “He felt he had taken him to a loving home and, wrongly, that he was doing the best thing for him at the time. But he has now learned his lesson and he does not expect to ever appear before these courts again.”
Mr Grayson added that Duyus, who split from his wife in 2012, did not accept the complaints that had been made about their accommodation in Turkey.
Judge Pringle told the defendant: “As is said time and time again, the fact that you are the natural father of Kubliay did not entitle you to act for your own purposes in taking him away from what was clearly the best place for him to be.
“The child’s interests are what are important and you completely ignored that in your behaviour last September.”
He sentenced Duyus to 20 months in prison and told him to pay a £100 victims’ surcharge when he is released.
- Our top stories:
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay