OLYMPIC Gold Medallist Jessica Ennis-Hill is calling on residents to join this year’s Oxford Half Marathon.
The London 2012 heptathlon star has launched a new series of national running events, which will include the city’s half marathon.
Sponsored by Prudential Vitality, the Vitality Run Series will feature eight of the country’s running events, bringing together more than 100,000 runners.
The series aims to inspire people to complete one of the challenging running events.
The star said: “It’s exciting for the Oxford Half Marathon to be one of the eight races in the Vitality Run Series.
“Being part of a great series of half marathons and 10ks around the UK will really raise its profile nationally and make Oxford Half one of the big races to take part in in the UK running calendar.
“Whether you are a beginner, charity runner or on the hunt to set a new personal best you will be offered a brilliant racing experience.”
Oxford Half Marathon race director Andrew Taylor said: “This is a clear recognition of the potential of the Oxford Half Marathon by a national brand and we are particularly excited by Vitality’s plans and resources to provide additional benefits and opportunities for our runners, and to help us realise the great potential of the event.”
Our top stories:
- Kerry Reeves' mother bravely faces her 'beautiful' daughter's killers in emotional tribute
- Prisons' shake-up will be at heart of today's Queen's Speech
- Five things you need to know in Oxfordshire today
- TV Wildlife presenter Chris Packham speaks about his Aspergers, teenage struggles and attempts to get into Oxford University
- GALLERY: Prince William proves a hit with young and old students on Oxford visit
- Elections 2016 roundup: Everything you need to know for May 5
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing