A HERCULES aircraft from RAF Brize Norton has been sent to help in the search for four British sailors who have gone missing in the Atlantic Ocean.
The aircraft took off from the West Oxfordshire RAF base at 5am this morning and will join the US Coastguard’s search for the four men.
It will refuel in Lajes, Portugal, before flying to the search area, where it is expected to arrive at 2pm today.
The Cheeki Rafiki disappeared from radars five days ago carrying James Male, 23, Andrew Bridge, 21, Paul Goslin, 56, and Steve Warren, 52, who were sailing in a treacherous stretch of ocean in a regatta from Antigua to Southampton.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said: “The RAF’s contribution to the search operation for the four missing British sailors will provide additional capability and resilience to the resumed search led by US and Canadian forces.
“We all hope that the extensive resources being provided by our allies and the further support from the UK can help locate the missing yachtsmen as soon as possible.”
- Our top stories:
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops
- Time-travelling story takes top spot in our Ox Tales competition
- Former Oxford City director Thomas Guerriero pleads guilty to $6.6m fraud
- Police confirm dead baby was newborn and renew desperate appeal to find mother
- Adam says yes after reading girlfriend's Leap Day proposal on the Oxford Mail website