A HERCULES aircraft from RAF Brize Norton has been sent to help in the search for four British sailors who have gone missing in the Atlantic Ocean.
The aircraft took off from the West Oxfordshire RAF base at 5am this morning and will join the US Coastguard’s search for the four men.
It will refuel in Lajes, Portugal, before flying to the search area, where it is expected to arrive at 2pm today.
The Cheeki Rafiki disappeared from radars five days ago carrying James Male, 23, Andrew Bridge, 21, Paul Goslin, 56, and Steve Warren, 52, who were sailing in a treacherous stretch of ocean in a regatta from Antigua to Southampton.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said: “The RAF’s contribution to the search operation for the four missing British sailors will provide additional capability and resilience to the resumed search led by US and Canadian forces.
“We all hope that the extensive resources being provided by our allies and the further support from the UK can help locate the missing yachtsmen as soon as possible.”
- Our top stories:
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her