A HERCULES aircraft from RAF Brize Norton has been sent to help in the search for four British sailors who have gone missing in the Atlantic Ocean.
The aircraft took off from the West Oxfordshire RAF base at 5am this morning and will join the US Coastguard’s search for the four men.
It will refuel in Lajes, Portugal, before flying to the search area, where it is expected to arrive at 2pm today.
The Cheeki Rafiki disappeared from radars five days ago carrying James Male, 23, Andrew Bridge, 21, Paul Goslin, 56, and Steve Warren, 52, who were sailing in a treacherous stretch of ocean in a regatta from Antigua to Southampton.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said: “The RAF’s contribution to the search operation for the four missing British sailors will provide additional capability and resilience to the resumed search led by US and Canadian forces.
“We all hope that the extensive resources being provided by our allies and the further support from the UK can help locate the missing yachtsmen as soon as possible.”
- Our top stories:
6:00am Thursday 29th January 2015
COUNCIL tax should be raised by an average of more than £60 a year to stop cuts to disability services, the Green Party has said.
9:00am Wednesday 28th January 2015
THE amount of compensation claimed by Oxfordshire drivers for pothole damage more than doubled in two years.
10:21pm Wednesday 28th January 2015
THE A40 is partially blocked at Wolvercote by up to 60 loose sheep.
8:43pm Wednesday 28th January 2015
THE 50th anniversary of Sir Winston Churchill’s funeral will be marked across Oxfordshire tomorrow.
8:39pm Wednesday 28th January 2015
A GIRL has claimed she had sex with a young man accused of grooming and exploiting teenagers in Banbury when she was 14 years old.
8:33pm Wednesday 28th January 2015
SNAKE fossils found in Oxfordshire have forced scientists to re-write their evolutionary story.
UPDATE:Services back to normal on Cotswold Line between Oxford and Worcester after person hit by train
4:30pm Wednesday 28th January 2015
Services have returned to normal between Oxford, Worcester and Hereford this afternoon after a person was hit by a train between Moreton-in-Marsh and Kingham.
6:45pm Wednesday 28th January 2015
SNOW is no longer expected to hit the majority of the county tomorrow morning.
5:52pm Wednesday 28th January 2015
Travellers left the Waitrose site in Botley Road today after being handed a 24-hour eviction notice.
5:49pm Wednesday 28th January 2015
THE jury in the trial of Jake Blakeley will continue considering its verdict on Tuesday.
1:19pm Wednesday 28th January 2015
Tesco Metro in Bicester will close on April 4.
12:43pm Wednesday 28th January 2015
TWENTY-seven people died in traffic collisions across the county last year.
12:00pm Wednesday 28th January 2015
THE three remaining cooling towers at the former Didcot A power station will be demolished in 2016, according to energy company RWE npower.
11:51am Wednesday 28th January 2015
A MAN is in hospital after he was cut across the face by a stranger, police said.