Man who set fire to flat in suicide bid ordered to get treatment

Man who set fire to flat in suicide bid ordered to get treatment

Man who set fire to flat in suicide bid ordered to get treatment

First published in News

A MAN who set fire to his flat in a suicide bid is to receive mental health treatment in the community.

Stephen Conway, of Russ Avenue, Faringdon, admitted one count of arson reckless as to whether life was endangered on Tuesday, July 2 last year.

The 37-year-old, who suffers from bipolar disorder and had stopped taking his medication, started a fire in the first floor flat where he still lives.

Judge Patrick Eccles, sitting at Oxford Crown Court yesterday, said no one was injured in the fire but people had to evacuate the building.

Dr Sukhjeet Lally from the Littlemore Mental Health Hospital said he thought if Conway was sent to prison there would be “a very high likelihood of a relapse of his bipolar disorder”.

Judge Eccles said Conway could not be held completely responsible for his actions and gave him a two-year prison sentence, suspended for two years, with a mental health treatment requirement. He must also carry out 80 hours of unpaid work and pay a £100 victims’ surcharge.

  • Our top stories:

Community helps flood victims as looters strike

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Thursday 2nd October 2014

FLOOD victims left devastated after a water main burst in their street have rallied together in the aftermath of the disaster.

Memorial to Spanish civil war ‘would clutter up the square’

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Thursday 2nd October 2014

PLANS for a memorial to the Oxford residents who died in the Spanish civil war look to have hit a brick wall.

Army will apologise to paratrooper after bullying claim at RAF Brize Norton upheld

Oxford Mail:

4:11pm Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE Army has said it will apologise to a paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan after his complaint of bullying was upheld.

Witney job centre cordoned off after suspicious package scare

Oxford Mail:

11:38am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A job centre was cordoned off after reports of a suspicious package.

Two road closures next week on A34 and in Oxford

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

10:52am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PARTS of the A34 and Walton Street will be closed next week as roadworks are carried out.

Thames Water under fire from residents who say they’ve been left in the dark

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

ANGRY residents flooded out of their homes say they are being left in the dark by Thames Water a week after disaster struck.

One lane of Botley Road shut for emergency work

Oxford Mail: Burst water main closes Lower Hall Lane in Chingford

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THAMES Water started emergency roadworks in Botley Road last night.

WATCH: Right royal occasion as RAF hands on helicopters + video

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PRINCE Andrew joined RAF personnel and Royal Navy staff as they paraded at RAF Benson yesterday to mark one of the base’s helicopter squadrons being officially disbanded.

Bridge fall man is still critically ill in hospital

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man was last night still fighting for his life in hospital after falling from a bridge and colliding with a vehicle.

Sex with teen denied

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man has gone on trial accused of having sex with a 14-year-old girl.

Brothel sentence delay

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

Two women who admitted being involved in running a brothel had the date for their sentencing changed.

More child sex victims are being identified

Oxford Mail: Bullfinch banner 630

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

HIGH-profile sex trafficking cases like Oxford’s Operation Bullfinch have led to more child victims being identified, the National Crime Agency (NCA) has said.

Teenage girl a victim of ‘revenge pornography’

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A 13-year-old girl is among the region’s victims of so-called “revenge pornography”.

Just one more series for me says Lewis star

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

LEWIS star Kevin Whately has said he only wants to appear in one more series of the Oxford-based TV drama.

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:19am Wed 21 May 14

Dilligaf2010 says...

"admitted one count of arson reckless as to whether life was endangered".....
.....why can't the legal profession stick to plain English?
"admitted one count of arson reckless as to whether life was endangered"..... .....why can't the legal profession stick to plain English? Dilligaf2010
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree