A MAN who jokingly asked to check tickets on an Oxford-bound train was punched twice in the face in an assault that left him with cuts and a pair of broken glasses.
British Transport Police said most travellers laughed off the joke but one man took exception and attacked him.
Police have now released CCTV images of a man they want to speak to in relation to the assault.
The attack happened shortly after midnight on Friday, April 18, after the victim boarded the train at London Paddington.
Pc David McNelis, who is investigating the assault, said: “This was a nasty attack which left the victim with cuts to his face.
“We have examined CCTV footage of the incident and are issuing images of a man we would like to speak to in connection with the assault.
“Footage from cameras at Didcot Parkway station shows the man leaving the train with a woman in a pink blouse shortly after 1.15am. I would ask anyone who may have witnessed the incident or who recognises the man in the pictures to contact us.
“All passengers have the right to travel without the fear of violence and we will do everything in our power to bring offenders to justice.”
Anyone with information should call British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40 or call the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
- Top News
Our top stories:
- Oxfordshire detective is a contestant on Channel 4 survival show The Island with Bear Grylls
- Managing director Greig Box Turnbull to leave Oxford United at end of season
- Companies still signing up for jobs fair at Oxford Town Hall
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot