FARMERS are hoping for a fruitful summer as strawberry season arrives.
The Pick Your Own at Millets Farm in Frilford is to open on Saturday and the juiciest strawberries will be ready to pick in about two weeks.
The farm’s events assistant Kirsty Ebsworth said the strawberries were doing well due to the recent mix of heavy rain and strong sun.
She said: “Our strawberries this year have benefitted from the great British rain we’ve had in March and April, followed by the hot weather this month.
“This means that the fruit is much sweeter and full of flavour and we’ll also have more strawberries for a longer period of time – well into September we expect.”
The Pick Your Own will be open every day from 9am with the last entry at 5pm. The strawberries will cost £4.30 for every kilogram picked.
- Top News
Our top stories:
- Sexual assaults are denied
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops
- Time-travelling story takes top spot in our Ox Tales competition
- Former Oxford City director Thomas Guerriero pleads guilty to $6.6m fraud
- Police confirm dead baby was newborn and renew desperate appeal to find mother
- Adam says yes after reading girlfriend's Leap Day proposal on the Oxford Mail website