OXFORD’S oldest cinema has reached the final phase of a major revamp thanks to help from movie lovers.
East Oxford’s Ultimate Picture Palace has been undergoing a major £100,000 refurbishment over the past three years.
And yesterday more than 100 new seats costing £30,000 were installed to bring the project to an end.
Owner Becky Hallsmith, pictured, raised more than £9,000 for the new seats through a public appeal supported by about 240 patrons.
She installed a new sound system and digital projector after taking over the Grade II-listed cinema in 2011.
She said: “I am thrilled to bits. The whole thing just happened organically. When I took over the business three years ago we started off with projector issues that had to be dealt with and as time went on I became aware of more jobs that needed doing.
“I am really pleased with the result, the place looks beautiful.”
Last year the building was given an award by Oxford Preservation Trust for its new external lighting.
Other work has included removing damp.
- Top News
Our top stories:
- Hundreds will gather as soldier killed in Iraq is repatriated
- Staff and students celebrate actress's big win at the Golden Globes
- Inquests opened into death of couple who died in cottage fire on Blenheim Palace estate
- Inquest opened into death of pensioner found in River Ock in Abingdon
- Man wearing beanie hat exposes himself to woman on city street
- Chain running Randolph Hotel in Oxford in 'best shape ever' after announcing £55m profit
- Cyclist and car involved in collision outside Seacourt Tower
- Oxford United vow to act quickly to resolve flag-waving dispute
- UPDATE: Three more men arrested in connection with attempted murder after altercation in Banbury
- Oxford United v Swindon Town - UPDATES
- CLARIFICATION: Hygiene report of Delight 2 in Didcot
- Man 'obsessed' with BBC journalist goes on trial after allegedly breaching restraining order against her
- Families urged to consider signing up for organ donation
- Oxford United send match tickets to fans caught up in season ticket delay