OXFORD’S oldest cinema has reached the final phase of a major revamp thanks to help from movie lovers.
East Oxford’s Ultimate Picture Palace has been undergoing a major £100,000 refurbishment over the past three years.
And yesterday more than 100 new seats costing £30,000 were installed to bring the project to an end.
Owner Becky Hallsmith, pictured, raised more than £9,000 for the new seats through a public appeal supported by about 240 patrons.
She installed a new sound system and digital projector after taking over the Grade II-listed cinema in 2011.
She said: “I am thrilled to bits. The whole thing just happened organically. When I took over the business three years ago we started off with projector issues that had to be dealt with and as time went on I became aware of more jobs that needed doing.
“I am really pleased with the result, the place looks beautiful.”
Last year the building was given an award by Oxford Preservation Trust for its new external lighting.
Other work has included removing damp.
- Top News
Our top stories:
- Authorities search for solutions as graffiti in Oxford doubles in a year
- Tackling cyber-crime and fraud are main priorities for Conservative police commissioner candidate
- Prime Minister says he has no offshore funds following Panama Papers leak
- Traders called on to support this summer's Cowley Road Carnival
- Tributes paid in Witney to former butcher and much-loved member of community
- Successful education scheme from Oxford charity to be rolled out across the UK
- Stunt actor from Oxford meets his match on Take Me Out
- 11 years on, pupils jump for joy over installation of crossing
- Barton gets £4m cash boost to transform estate’s homes and shops
- Time-travelling story takes top spot in our Ox Tales competition
- Former Oxford City director Thomas Guerriero pleads guilty to $6.6m fraud
- Police confirm dead baby was newborn and renew desperate appeal to find mother
- Adam says yes after reading girlfriend's Leap Day proposal on the Oxford Mail website
- Council planning new PSPO to tackle illegal boaters in Oxford