A HOUSE fire was prevented by an 11-year-old child who saw smoke coming from a neighbour’s home and called the emergency services.

Firefighters and police officers were called to the house in Sunderland Avenue, Oxford, whilst the occupiers were out. Smoke could be seen filling the ground floor.

An Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said the cause was a pan that had been left on the heat.

The child who spotted the smoke called Thames Valley Police, who in turn notified fire crews at 8.41pm.

Police reached the house first and removed the pan from the house. Fire crews then cleared the property of smoke.

The fire service spokeswoman added: "The child was very sensible to call us, it could have been a much more serious incident."