FIREFIGHTERS were called to a house fire last night in Magdalen Road, Oxford. 

There was a severe fire in an upstairs front bedroom, but nobody was injured.

Two people managed to escape the house and crews arrived at about 10.20pm. 

Watch Manager Will McPhail said: "In this case, the occupants were warned of a quickly developing fire in sufficient time to escape due to the fact that they had working smoke alarms.

"I would advise everybody to ensure they have a working smoke detector on each level of their house, as a smoke detector. Households should also have a fire plan so everyone in your household knows what to do when a smoke detector goes off."