A RENOWNED Oxfordshire rugby player has died, aged 86.

Peter Stone played for a number of local sports clubs and was a bank manager by profession.

He played on the wing at Oxford Rugby Club during the 1950s and was president and treasurer of Oxfordshire Rugby Union.

Peter Stone was born in Oxford on July 6, 1927.

He attended the City of Oxford High School for Boys, excelling at sports, including rugby, cricket and athletics.

He also boxed for the City of Oxford Boys Club.

During this time he would often cycle to Gloucester with his brother Pat, who was also a keen sportsman, to watch Gloucester Rugby Club play.

As a boy during the Second World War, he helped out at harvest camps, and spent many nights in Oxford’s university buildings on “fire watch” in case of bombing raids.

In 1946, he completed two years of national service in Cyprus, with the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy.

On returning to Oxford in 1948, he took a job at Barclays Bank, working as a clerk. Though he intended it to be a summer job, it was to be the start of a 38 year-career in banking.

While working at the bank he met his wife Hilary, who was also an employee, and they moved into a home in Cutteslowe, North Oxford, after honeymooning in Jersey.

It was at this time that he became a regular rugby player at Oxford Rugby Football Club, and played as a wing three quarter throughout the 1950s.

He also represented Oxfordshire's county team for what was, at the time, a record 56 appearances.

Mr Stone also joined the City of Oxford Athletics Club, based at Iffley Road running track and specialised in the long jump and high jump.

He represented the county at a number of meetings and went on to become captain.

In 1964 he was transferred to a Swindon branch as manager.

At this time he retired from sporting activities, but in honour of his contribution, the City of Oxford Athletic Club granted him honorary life membership.

He and his wife had three children, Julie, Helen and Chris, and regularly holidayed in Cornwall.

Returning to Oxford in 1977 to manage Barclays’ branch in Cowley Road, Mr Stone rekindled his involvement with the Oxfordshire Rugby Football Union and also joined the Oxford Sports Tennis Club and Frilford Heath Golf Club.

He was treasurer for all three organisations and served as president of the Oxfordshire Rugby Football Union from 1985 to 1987.

The club would later award him an honorary life vice-presidency in 2012 in recognition of his contribution to Oxfordshire rugby.

He took his final position at Barclay’s Carfax branch before retiring in 1986.

In retirement, Mr Stone took a part-time job book-keeping at the Curtain Shop in Banbury Road, Summertown.

He also continued to play golf at Frilford and was a keen gardener.

In his later years, he and his wife moved to Farmoor.

Mr Stone died on February 13. He is survived by his wife and children, nine grandchildren and one great-granddaughter.

A funeral service was held yesterday at St Michael’s Church, Cumnor.