THE mother of a prison worker who died in a road accident said she cried with happiness when the man who caused his death was found guilty.

Christine Parris, 73, broke down in tears in the court and shouted: “Justice, justice for my boy”.

Her son David Parris, 48, from Bicester, died on the way to Oxford’s John Radcliffe Hospital after the collision on December 4, 2012.

On Thursday, Daniel Fallaw, 36, of Peregrine Way, Bicester, was convicted of causing death by careless driving after a four-day trial at Oxford Crown Court in which his driving was branded “impatient” by a prosecutor.

He denied causing the death of cyclist Mr Parris by careless driving after his silver Ford Escort collided with the cyclist in Bicester.

Prosecutor Iain Wicks said the accident happened at about 6pm as the Bullingdon prison worker was crossing Neunkirchen Way on his bicycle next to the roundabout with the A41.

A jury took just one hour and 55 minutes to reach a unanimous guilty verdict and Fallaw broke down in tears with his head in his hands as the verdict was announced.

After the hearing Mrs Parris said: “When I heard the verdict everything just came off my shoulders. I cried with happiness because it was the right verdict.

“The trial was harrowing hearing all the information that we knew nothing about.

“We heard what the witnesses had to say and they were absolutely fantastic. They were the ones who swung it our way.

“I think it will give us some closure once it has sunk in.

“At the moment I’m still all emotional about it.”

Mr Parris’s 17-year-old daughter Emma, of Chigwell in Essex, added: “I’m glad that justice has been done.”

During the trial Mr Wicks explained that Fallaw was coming off the roundabout when his vehicle struck Mr Parris and his bicycle side on.

The barrister said he suffered a serious brain injury when he hit his head on the car windscreen and died in the ambulance on the way to hospital.

Mr Wicks added: “The prosecution case is that this was a collision that was avoidable.”

During cross examination he told Fallaw that because he was driving too fast and using the roundabout to overtake he didn’t see Mr Parris “until it was too late”.

Giving evidence the defendant maintained there was nothing he could have done to avoid the collision.

He said: “I did all I could. I did my best. If there was anything that I could have done I would have.”

Fallaw will be sentenced at the crown court on February 13.