A MAN and his dog were found dead on a canal boat in Banbury yesterday.
It is thought the well-known boater and his pet died in a tragic accident.
The ambulance service were first on the scene at the Oxford Canal, Tramway Road, at around 1.30pm, but called the fire and rescue service for assistance.
A fire engine from Banbury was sent and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and carrying gas monitoring equipment went on board the boat.
No toxic gases were discovered and the boat was declared safe but the man and his pet dog were pronounced dead at the scene.
Watch Manager John Callaway from the Fire and Rescue Service said: "Although the cause of this tragic incident has yet to be determined and is an ongoing investigation by the police, there are a number of appliances common to both boats and caravans (as well as houses) that have the ability to produce toxic fumes.
"It is our advice that all such equipment is professionally installed by a qualified technician and serviced regularly in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
We also recommend that both smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are fitted and tested weekly."